Car Shopping

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so I haven't been on much as late and that is because my FIOS went down (fiberoptic internet thingy) But it is back up now so ya'll have to put up with me. Anyway I'm car shopping. I knew I wanted a subcompact hatchback (5door) to take the place of my Renault Modus I had to leave behind. Unfortunately they didn't exist in the US till this past year. I"ve got it narrowed down to the Honda Fit (Jazz to you all), the Nissan Versa (between a note and a micra) and the Scion xD which doesn't exist outside the US. The problem is they are so popular I can't test them. I finally got to test drive the Scion today and I really like it but with all the cars being within $1k of each other I'd like to drive them all. But the dealers are like we sell em without them ever being driven so order it and you can drive it when you own it. Anyone else been in this situation?? What do you do?

If I ever find a decent paying job that is a definite on my list!!!! but for now I need to be practical.

Just out of interest, how much are they?

If they're around $16k, you might as well get a VW Rabbit/Golf... :)

They range between $15,500 to $16,400 with the Honda being the most expensive and the Scion being the cheapest but with the most options.

Thats sounds like a daft situation Renee :( Are they literally selling them as fast as they get them in? I thought there would be some kinda of slow down in the states with petrol prices going up etc. I dont think I would ever buy a car without test driving it, just doesnt seem right and it might just not feel right when out of the road :(

I will only test drive a standard because that is what I want. I finally found a Honda dealer with a standard in went in and said I'd like to test drive that. They said are you going to buy it? I said not today because I'm waiting for my car to be shipped in from England for a trade in. And they said no thanks we aren't interested!

The Scion and Honda hold the best value and the Scion is slightly cheaper to run about $1500 over 5 years. I haven't checked insurance. They all have the bells and whistle safety features so insurance shouldn't be outrageous especially since I haven't claimed on my insurance in years.

I wanted to buy used but there aren't any cars like this available used as they are very new to the US market. I could get something similar but I'd be looking at 20mpg rather than 35mpg.

And they said no thanks we aren't interested!

What a crazy system! If you are feeling brave say you are going to buy it, have the test drive and then say...actually nah! thats poo! (or are they not even offering a test drive if you say you are going to buy it...just buy it and sod off)

I'm horrible at lying... At the moment the Scion has to lead because I've actually driven it. See I think all the Car people thought no no no Americans are too attached to their huge SUVs and gas guzzling Sedans but decided to try introducing the little ones as a test. Well to their surprise they've taken off like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. This gives the dealers too much power so he just have to buy unseen and undriven.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/

What car has reviews and videos of loads of models including the Honda Jazz which does quite well.

As for the dealers, when they ask are you going to buy it? you say, "not without a test drive"

But neither the Scion nor the Nissan are in the UK... I've read reviews over here and frankly there isn't much between them although the Nissan seems to be the easiest to get rid of off the list as it hasn't faired as well.

The lady at the Honda dealer actually just shrugged her arms when I said I am NOT buying a car without driving it. Basically a your loss shrug. So maybe I should not buy the Honda on principle.

Which leaves me with the Scion. It is very cool looking.
http://www.scion.com/#xD

I'd buy from where the best service has been. At the moment only one dealer has looked at you as a customer and given you a test drive. The others are just after your cash.

You are the customer, if you ain't happy walk away. Once you had over that money its gone.

Looks a bit like one of the new Daihatsu models.

It is about $18k.

You don't think it is cool looking. Not in a Lotus Esprit cool looking way but cool for a 5 door gas sipper.

Don't buy a Nissan. Their customer service is awful.

I took mine in for repair and they gave me a customers car as a courtesy a while ago (at a dealer's I only used the once).

me & my boss have both got the same vehicle, whilst our local dealer is great, the backup from Nissan UK sucks. JMO ;)

Back