Card speeds

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I've asked this before and it was said that the speed of your card doesn't effect anything with taking pictures and only effects the transfer rate from card to computer.

But I've been looking at some CF cards and a lot of them state that the faster ones are better for continuous shooting.

Is this true? I use an Ultra 2 card (x66 I think) and wondering if it's quick enough?

Depends on which camera you are using. Most cameras write to a buffer and then download to the card. The bigger the buffer the more images the buffer will hold whilst downloading

You need to find out what the maximum write speed of your camera is. No real point in using a card that will handle faster downloads than your camera can achieve.

Having said that a faster card may help when it comes down to loading onto a computer via a reader.

The Rob Galbraith web site has a card reader database. Look up you camera ( or if it isn't there a similar model ) and see what the fastest download is. Then you'll know the optimum card speed to go for

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Thanks for that, makes very interesting reading! So it seems the 2GB cards are generally the fastest for my camera and the difference between my Sandisk Ultra II 4GB is considerable slower at writing from the camera than a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III !

Write/read speeds are normally only of interest to sports/wildlife/action type togs - the rest of us don't shoot 20 continuous images, or have a need to download them in x secs, so it doesn't matter really

I always buy 'old' technology on this as kids/brides don't normally run too fast for my D2Xs or the cards I use!

:LOL:

DD

Back