Carew Castle with lucky meteor trails

Cracking Milky Way shot, love it. But I think you will find that those are satellites not meteors, they are a constant light with no trailing in and out like a meteor burn up would show. Also they are a pure white light, with meteors you usually get some colours.

I've tried messing about with the verticals Jeremy. Don't have a correction profile for the Samyang 14mm and after trawling through all the other lenses I was losing the will to live. Tried doing it manually but just can't seem to get it looking right both sides.

The trail directly above the castle is a plane but the others are meteor trails. I think I have at least one in every image that I took over the space of an hour.

The faint one in the Milky Way just above the clouds looks like a meteor and the one below the top left trail. If you were continually shooting and the trail continues in the same line then it will be a satellite. I shot for an hour and only caught 3 as there was a high level cloud haze on the Tues/Wed and only clearish before midnight on the Wed/Thur peak.

Terrific shot of the Milky Way and the castle. \RHS of the castle looms a bit wonky, but maybe that's the way it is.

Satellites or shooting stars,?? Who knows. A n aeroplane leaves a dot dash trail from my experience bt guess it depends on how you shot the picture.

The castle in foreground works very well..

Mj

Lovely picture.

On my tablet I can see six trails. Zooming in to look at them closely, the four which are orientated bottom left to top right all appear to be planes, because their lights blink.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. Get quite a few planes passing over Pembrokeshire late at night so I know that anything going from bottom left to top right stands a good chance of being a plane. Looking at some of the other frames though and I've got quite a random selection of trails so im fairly sure that there is a meteor In there. Saw quite a few during the hour or so I was there. And also the previous night.

Not that it matters as it's just nice to get out and do a bit of night photography as I don't get as much opportunity as I would like.

As for the won,y castle. I think it's caused by the angle that the camera is tilted back from the vertical to try and get as much of the Milky Way in as possible. Looking at images that are taken with the camera in a more normal plane it doesn't seem to have that exaggeration.

Cheers

Last edited:
Very nice. The verticals don't look too bad for me, but the reflection of the castle does seem to be curved so maybe worth trying to correct any WA distortion.

Is this a single exposure? I'd be tempted to try a separate exposure for the foreground to brighten it up a little and maybe reduce some noise (which isn't bad, but a little noticeable in the water).

Yes I noticed the noise in the water after I posted it so went back in LR and found that I had applied too much clarity. Looks better with a gradient filter over the bottom and the clarity reduced on it but I've not posted the adjustment.

Great setting, the MW looks fantastic above the castle. As said above, meteors tend to taper and, for perseids at least, the tapered end is typically green in colour. These characteristics can be lost in ultrawide shots, though, especially after resizing for web, so it's tricky to state definitively what each streak is.

The distortion of the reflection could probably be corrected in PS by dragging the bottom corners in with the Transform > Warp tool, then a little bit of creative cloning or filling to conceal the gaps.

You're absolutely right about this being better than not having gone at all- definitely a keeper!

Back