Cash on lenses or an upgrade?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everybody,I'm new here and pretty new to digital photography!

I used to have a film SLR years ago but i recently got the bug again and bought a Nikon D40 after a few weeks borrowing a mates Olympus e500.

I really like the Nikon but getting lenses for it is a nightmare due not realising about the D40 not being compatible with all Nikon lenses. I would have done more research but i bought the Nikon after researching the Canon entry level SLRs.The shop didn't have the Canon in stock and i needed the camera that day as i was doing some photos for a mates band that night and the other camera i usually borrowed not being available so i grabbed the Nikon.

I'm now stuck on the decision of keeping the D40 and buying another SLR possibly a 2nd hand EOS 30d as there seems to be more lens choice for the Canons and also a lot more stuff available 2nd hand, upgrading to a better Nikon or spending the cash on more lenses for the D40.

Sorry the posts a bit long! Any advice greatly appreciated:)

It depends on what you already have - if you only have a small amount of accessories then it would be a good choice to get the Canon 30D and probably ditch the D40 altogether, but then I'm a Canon fan so probably a bit biased!

Upgrading to another Nikon and keeping the D40 as a second body is also a good choice. Nikon also have a good lens range and are supported by 3rd party manufacturers just as Canon are. Their flash system is considered superior to Canon's and Canon's handling of digital noise has (until very recently) been better than Nikon.

Also, what lenses do you have and what lenses do you want?

I assume by compatible you mean whether the AF will work or not.

Nikons are compatible with lenses going back decades.

Nothing wrong with a bit of manual focus.

You'll need a D80 for AF on all lenses or just stick to AF-S lenses for lesser bodiesfor AF

Thanks for the replies.
I only have the 18 55 and the 55 200 that came with the camera.
I would like to get a 70 300 for motorsport and mountain biking photographs so thats probably the first choice of a new lens.

Nice to know that i can buy other Nikon lenses than the AF S ones.The shop told me i would need the AF S and the others couldn't be used with the D40 they didn't say that it was just the auto focus that wouldn't work.Should have known better than to go to Currys on a weekend!

I'd go opposite, and say go for it, upgrade. You'll grow out of the D40, so you might aswell upgrade so you have something to grow 'into'.

Depends how much money is in the pot for the upgrade path... if you move away from brand you have you will have to buy all new glass as well as body... If you stick with body you and but some more glass you will always be able to use that glass on new nikon body at a later date.

End of the day its what you want to do and what brand you feel comfortable with.

Thanks for the replies.Nice pics Shutterman!
I think i'll probably stick with the Nikon i am happy enough with the camera for now especially since i found out i could look at non AFS lenses!
I think i keep looking at the Canons as my old film SLR was Canon so maybe i've had grass is greener on the other side syndrome and kept thinking i'd made an expensive mistake!

I'm not too bothered about autofocus as i've got the other 2 lenses for point and shoot moments!

Think i'll go with the 70 300 for now then look at upgrading the body later.Not got loads of cash to blow at the moment but at least there seems to be a few 2nd hand lenses within my reach if i don't need AFS.

Nikon 70-300vr is AF-S and a great lens and will autofocus on your D40 as will Sigma HSM lenses ( Sigmas newer 70-300 APO is autofocus too.).
Many 3rd party lens makers are now incorporating focus motors, so your choice isn't as limited as you think. (y)
Allan

Back