Castle Coombe - Classic Race Day, August 06

Edit My Images
No
Well...August 2006 seems a long time ago. Sheer boredom has taken over me today so here are some shots from that day.

It was fairly miserable at times but didn't actually rain that hard, and I think the sun came out for a bit too.

20Ds all round, Sigma 120-300EX and 70-200EX. One was with a shabby old Canon 28-105 as well.

IMG_0052-vi.jpg

IMG_0108-vi.jpg

IMG_3250-vi.jpg

IMG_9803-vi.jpg

IMG_9913-vi.jpg

Err
IMG_0005-vi.jpg

IMG_0364-vi.jpg

IMG_3257-vi.jpg

Yeah he went off on an uexepected damp patch, spun a number of times in the field, collected a hay bale and carried on!

One was with a shabby old Canon 28-105 as well.
Don't knock the 28-105, it's really quite a good lens :p Bargain at the price ;)

If 'Non USM' with a plastic mount float your boat.

It was alright I suppose, useless for anything moving.

Bought it cheap, sold it for £40 more than I paid for it on eBay. Mugs!

If 'Non USM' with a plastic mount float your boat.

It was alright I suppose, useless for anything moving.

Bought it cheap, sold it for £40 more than I paid for it on eBay. Mugs!

Aahh, THAT 28-105 :( The USM version's really not that bad.

Not really into car racing but the panning shot No 2 really gives the feeling of movement sometimes missing it this type of photography. All good though

Nice shots, what setting did you use for the panning shots?

Were the panning shots with the 28-105?

the Classic FF1600 was 1/160s ISO100 f7.1 with the 70-200

the Lotus was 1/125s ISO100 f9 with the 120-300. handheld. lol

Not really into car racing but the panning shot No 2 really gives the feeling of movement sometimes missing it this type of photography. All good though

you'll like dave's work then, he is the panmaster :)

you dont see many shots like that because for some reason the 'master' motorsport photographers get strangely snobby about them. they dont like motorsport shots unless they are a head on shot of a car with some cars blurred out in the background.

I appreciate the nice sharp head on to 3/4 shot with a nice background or a 3/4 pan as well, I don't understand why people get so het up about a decently executed pan shot though.

Sometimes I look at panned shots and think they suck but when they're done properly and have an almost surreal looking background, I love the sense of speed the convey.

Pan Snobs? DO ONE.

Lol

PS I think Gary is paying me a compliment ;)

I was happy the way the Lotus came out, the 120-300 is a big old bit of kit, swinging it without a 'pod isn't for the faint hearted. Or weak/old/infirm.

I have heard nothing but good reports about the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8. A couple of the canon guys use them at Croft

Enjoyed looking through those. Liked the skid lines leading to the 'parked' car in front of you....and the hay of course :)

Some nice shots, my favourite being the 4th... showing the tracks of the cars straight off the track into the barrier. You can from that one picture read a series of events that happened to get there, sort of tells a little story... nice(y)

I have even head it say that they are better than the 300 f/2.8 but I somehow find that hard to believe

Back