Catch 22 - Help please

Name
Adele
Edit My Images
Yes
Due to the rising cost of fuel, and the non-rising wage of working as retail assistant manager, i'm currently stuck with a catch 22 situation.

It has come to the point that I would be better off [and less stressed] working part time - but I'm wanting a job that covers my "expenses" out and gives me time to embark more on the photography side of things.

I live at home which is fair enough - but I dont rely on my parents for money for petrol/to go out/etc

Now I applied for a part-time job in a call centre, but have not got through to the interview process as they need the job to start in two weeks - and I have to give four weeks notice.

So here's the catch 22 situation.

All the part time jobs i am going for are saying they need someone to start work quicker than the four weeks that I have to give - I dont want a good part time job - I want a part time job to bring in the basic money.

If I hand in my notice at work - I have to work the four weeks - but if I dont find a job by the end of the four weeks - I cannot claim jobseekers because I have left a job.

I'm very stressed out and am :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Any advice.......PLEASE

Do you have any holiday time owed? how set in stone is the must work the notice bit? tbh most employers are happier for you to leave sooner rather than later to avoid any 'problems'. If worst comes to worst, they can't chain you to the shop floor, you could take the loss of wages and just leave.

get the job sorted and then leave.

The worst they can do is stall on your p45 and threaten action for breach of contract.

It's not worth the hassle in the long run for them to persue it.

I wouldn't quit your job.

I have two thoughts about this, a good employer would rather wait for the right person, after all they're going to want to hold onto you for a while, appointing staff ain't cheap. The second would be to echo Steep. You're current employer may be more flexible than you think, people get demob happy and you get little work out of them for the last couple of weeks anyway.

See I've left jobs before - my last job I left I worked five weeks out of goodwill until they found someone else and my job will not slack in it either. I'm putting things into place and I will train up the rest of the staff on the jobs. [I say I will - and I will]

But because I'm not wanting a "good" job I'm wanting bar staff/cleaner mornings/anything part time local that free's up majority of my days/doesnt cost me too much to get to work on it its basically just for pocket money.

***edit***

Its company policy - that I work my full four weeks notice as I am a member of the management team.

Just walk out, or give them however much notice you can... whats the worst that they'll do.. not pay you & not give you a reference.

If you're only going for "casual" work, they're not really going to be worried about references.

They're not going to sue for (to them) what amounts to pittance. It'd cost more in time for their solicitors to prepare the case.

you could hand you notice in then maybe go on the sick for the last 2 weeks. One thing i'd consider though, you may not need that reference right now, but there will be a time in the future where you may need to rely on that reference.

Not really.. since you'll have another job that you can get a reference from.

I left an employer under a bit of a black cloud (the manager was a wnkr), new employer didn't need a reference, and now if I change jobs again, I've got a reference from the new job.

So you don't really need a reference from them

Any job which doesn't want to interview you first isn't a job worth having. It sounds like they've got problems recruiting, do you really want to go into that sort of environment/situation?

Any job which doesn't want to interview you first isn't a job worth having. It sounds like they've got problems recruiting, do you really want to go into that sort of environment/situation?

Its a call centre they never have problems recruiting. :LOL: they, as any part time "crappy" job need people to start straight away. I'm wanting an evening bar job but there is no way im home in time at the moment - to get one of those from work....it really is a stressful situation for me at the moment.

Evenings are better for photography anyway, get a job for when the sun is high in the sky :)

Back