Catch 22 with a Dell laptop...

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Dell Inspiron 15, 7560
A few days ago when i turned it on a msg came up...AC adaptor not recognised...
I've googled, and looked up all the problems and fixes and nothing has worked.
Googled some more today and found quite a few people with same problem, all blaming the BIOS.
So...went onto the Dell website and there on the update section is a urgent update for the BIOS for Inspiron 7540/7560!
A-Ha i thought, so turned on the laptop, went to download the update and then the laptop shuts down!!
Turn it on again and find the battery level is 3%, which is weird as seconds earlier it was 54%...
So now i'm stuck well and truly as you need at least 10% battery to download the update, and with the issue being the laptop won't charge, i've got a useless laptop!
Dell support are only contactable by phone mon-fri 8am to 6pm!!:confused:
Great!!!! and as my warranty ran out 18 months ago, not sure what if any solutions they'll offer.

You can download the update using another PC, place it on a USB stick and update from there.

Have you tried plugging in the AC adaptor with the laptop shutdown? Does the charge indicator come on? If so leave it on charge for 24h then try the BIOS upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 15, 7560
A few days ago when i turned it on a msg came up...AC adaptor not recognised...
I've googled, and looked up all the problems and fixes and nothing has worked.
Googled some more today and found quite a few people with same problem, all blaming the BIOS.
So...went onto the Dell website and there on the update section is a urgent update for the BIOS for Inspiron 7540/7560!
A-Ha i thought, so turned on the laptop, went to download the update and then the laptop shuts down!!
Turn it on again and find the battery level is 3%, which is weird as seconds earlier it was 54%...
So now i'm stuck well and truly as you need at least 10% battery to download the update, and with the issue being the laptop won't charge, i've got a useless laptop!
Dell support are only contactable by phone mon-fri 8am to 6pm!!:confused:
Great!!!! and as my warranty ran out 18 months ago, not sure what if any solutions they'll offer.

My Dell always does that, it means that the charging cable is not fully inserted. It always does it on mine, when I first start it up and the charging cable is not fully in. I simply click ignore then push the cable fully in.

It happened to me just before. With the same message, that you reported. ;)

Last edited:
@Carlo

Before you do anything, simply make sure the AC adapter is fully in the laptop. My DELL always does this, with the same warning message.

That is how I fix it on mine.

Last edited:
My XPS13 started giving the same message about 15 months ago, apparently following a BIOS update. It's nothing to do with how far the connector is inserted, it's something to do with the chip that Dell uses to ensure only a genuine Dell PSU is being used. Fortunately, my XPS also has a USB C socket and is happy charging via that.

My XPS13 started giving the same message about 15 months ago, apparently following a BIOS update. It's nothing to do with how far the connector is inserted, it's something to do with the chip that Dell uses to ensure only a genuine Dell PSU is being used. Fortunately, my XPS also has a USB C socket and is happy charging via that.

Oh I thought it was the AC power supply not inserted properly. I get that message flash up now and again, but it only seems to happen when cable not fully inserted properly.

As yours is intermittent it may have a different cause but when it's a solid fault it's down to that chip.

Oh I thought it was the AC power supply not inserted properly. I get that message flash up now and again, but it only seems to happen when cable not fully inserted properly.
I've had that as well on occasion.

The most important lesson to learn is that not to buy another Dell product again. HP are similar company who in stop customers using third party accessories they include people using older OEM products. Totally wrong.

Not quite sure what you mean by that statement - can you clarify?

It makes more sense if you change 'stop' to 'stopping' and 'include' to 'prevent'. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

Thanks for all the advice, tried the RTC, but that wouldn't work as the AC adaptor has to be inserted and its not recognised!!
Same with the BIOS update, the adaptor has to be inserted and 10+% battery.
New battery arrived today, plugged that in, showed 50% power, then went to the update, downloaded it, but when I plugged the AC charger in as instructed onscreen, within seconds the battery charge went from 50% to 7% in seconds!!!!!
I'm thinking for some reason the charger is sending info to the chip(it does this)that is incorrect due to a bug in the BIOS.
The short of it means I've no idea whatsoever as to how i'm going to fix this!!!!!:banghead:
oh, btw, my daughter has similar model dell, so tried her charger but same problem, so the AC chargers not the problem!

Sadly mine doesn't have a USB C port! :(

I still get the message as the user above, and I also get this message pop up.

Capture.JPG

Both messages go away, when I push the adapter plug in properly. It tends to come out as it is a silly flimsy thing.

Done 3 of those Dells recently all the same problem. If you look at the socket on the side of the laptop the centre support will probably have broken out so the pins are all over the place. You can get a replacement cable of eBay for about £12.
Dell are one of the few manufacturers who don't solder the power socket direct to the mainboard.
It's a fiddly job but easily doable by someone with reasonable motor skills.

Done 3 of those Dells recently all the same problem. If you look at the socket on the side of the laptop the centre support will probably have broken out so the pins are all over the place. You can get a replacement cable of eBay for about £12.
Dell are one of the few manufacturers who don't solder the power socket direct to the mainboard.
It's a fiddly job but easily doable by someone with reasonable motor skills.

This was my problem.
Think it’s called the AC power jack.
All working well now
[emoji106]

Back