Centre point only or with Left Right Assist for you

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering what people preference is for rugby and football (preferably if you use or used a Mk III)?

I used centre point with 9/11 point assist, cant remember if 9 or 11

Surely you mean left right assist Gary. The 9/11 that you refer to I think is the option to use all AF points, inner points or outer points. I may be wrong, but these are just the points you can select, not the points which assist your chosen AF point.

As for me I use the centre point with left/right assist.

Ok guys thanks for that.

One query though. Wouldn't left & right assist help the focus point possibly move to a different subject?

Or I am totally misunderstanding how it works?

center (or chosen) and left/right assist

Might have to pick your brains on this matter.

Just started using a 1D Mark II

In addition using centre AF or another chosen AF point - I can expand to select assit points around the chosen AF point:

200mm or longer
In one shot mode - assist 'circle' of 6 adjacent AF points around the chosen AF point
In AI Servo mode - assist 'oval' of 12 adjacent AF points around the chosen AF point

Less than 200mm
In one shot mode - AF point does not expand automatically
In AI Servo mode - assist 'circle' of 6 adjacent AF points around the chosen AF point

So If I miss a bird but clip it with an assist point - that's why it lights up ?

The rest seems straight forward. Camera can be set to either:

Select from any of all 45 Manually
Select from any of 11 Manually
Select from any of 9 Manually

Does that all make sense ?

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question but if you select a point other than the centre, can you stil use the left/right or surrounding assist points. (1D bodies)

Probably a stupid question but if you select a point other than the centre, can you stil use the left/right or surrounding assist points. (1D bodies)

Somebody with more experience than me with 1D might correct me but from what I can tell you expand the 'assist' focus points around whichever AF point you select.

Somebody with more experience than me with 1D might correct me but from what I can tell you expand the 'assist' focus points around whichever AF point you select.

Exactly, though if you're selected one of the AF points at the very edge of the sensor, you'll only get one assist point off to the side!

FWIW I use left/right assist on occasion, but most often I go for centre only.

Back