CF Card Speeds - Testing

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Just testing my cards now, with a view to changing them for Sandisk Extreme III's instead.

I'm using the free HD Tach.

1Gb - Kingston Elite Pro (50x), Speed was 2.8 Mb/Sec
1Gb - Peak Ultra - 2.8Mb/Sec
4Gb - Dane-Elec - 2.8Mb/Sec

Hmmm, I dont think this tester is being entirely honest :p

I'm now redoing the tests with Sisoft Sandra ;)

I just tried with 8GB Transcend card - 17.5mb's - the software is not vista compatible.

Is this writing to or reading from?

Just testing my cards now, with a view to changing them for Sandisk Extreme III's instead.

If you do, get a Sandisk Extreme III card reader too. You'll find that you'll be able to read from them even quicker (as per a mag review I read a while back)

Thanks, this was reading from. And the final result is an average read rate.

Right, I used SiSoftware Sandra to test the read speeds and got the following

1Gb - Kingston Elite Pro - 2.67 Mb/Sec
1Gb - Peak Ultra - 2.64Mb/Sec
4Gb - Dane-Elec - 2.65Mb/Sec

This isn't looking good is it?

Why not try a rubbish card in there. I have a 64mb somewhere, I'm sure thats slow

Card reader can have a huge impact, if you're using your PCs built-in reader then 2.6mb/sec is pretty good going. I use the read on my Epson R360 as it's about 5x faster than the PCs built-in reader (y)

Because RobGalbraith hasn't tested these cards ;)

I doubt the 133x mymemory 4gb cheap cards that I have are that fast really - but as I've not yet lost a shot due to waiting for the buffer I can't see the point in buying something faster. less time to cut and paste to the PC maybe but it is not an issue as it is.

I am wondering why you are doing these tests youself, when Rob Galbrath has already done the hard work for you?

Because RobGalbraith hasn't tested these cards ;)

Also Rob hasn't tested the individuals PC and card reader combination.

I have a cheap(ish) 'Sweex' multi-slot card reader and I manage to get around 7 or 8 Mb/sec when downloading from an Extreme III 2M card, which is fine if you've just shot about 50 shots, but when you come home from an event and have to download about 500...:thumbsdown:

I may invest in one of the Sandisk Extreme readers sometime.

Back