CF speeds // 300D still bust

Edit My Images
No
Got my 300D back from the workshop and it still doesn't work. However I know that they must have got it to work becuase there are photos of their workshop on the CF card. Annoying really. Not sure what I'm going to say.

Anyway, now I've got my 1GB CF card back I thought I'd do a little speed test between the three cards I have. It's not a totally scientific test because they're all different sizes but I know from reading another test (thanks to Warspite for that link) that size doesn't really have any effect on transfer speed.

Anyway the test I did was simple. I held the shutter button down until it had taken 20 frames and I timed how long it took. The buffer on the 20D is only enough for six frames (shooting in RAW mode) so the rest, and therefore the speed at which it can shoot 20 frames, will be governed by the write speed of the CF card.

Here are my results. I'm quite surprised at how bad the Kingston is and how good the Jessops one is.

17 seconds - Sandisk Ultra II 256MB
23 seconds - Jessops' own-brand 256MB
37 seconds - Kingston 1GB (not the 'Elite' stuff, the normal stuff)

2Gb Kingston elite pro - your test, 23 secs to shoot 20 RAWs. Shutter speed 1/6th and me counting clicks before formatting the card again.

Actually, Jan uses a Jessops own brand 1 gig SD card in her compact. I haven't done any comparison tests, but I can confirm it's pretty damned rapido!

Pretty good result for the Jessops by the sounds of these tests, didnt expect Kingston to lag that far behind.

However I think I'll stick with my Sandisk Ultra IIs for the moment:)

I'll stick to the Sandisk as well, I've had two Jessops cards go corrupt an inconvenient times. Probably coincidence but I've no confidence in them now.

The Sandisk Ultra II's are well reviewed and very fast when used in Canon DSLR's. They are what's on my wish list for future cards.

Back