Challenge Talkphotography - £150 and a long list...

Edit My Images
Yes
Alright all?

I've discovered I've got £150 to spend on toys, namely an MB-D80, a monopod with ball head, and an 82mm UV filter for a Sigma 100-300. Is this craziness?

A couple of provisos:
  • I'd like the grip to be nikon branded
  • I don't mind little known brands, ebay or imports for the monopod or filter.
  • I'm 6 foot, and if the monopod was light and packed up small then that'd be a bonus.

No, now it's craziness... :thinking: Can anyone offer some handy hints on gear?

You are not going to get any decent monopod + head sticking to that budget. The same goes for the UV filter, although this is a personal opinion. I wouldn't put a cheap filter on a £500~ lens. As for the grip, i highly doubt you will find it cheaper than this new.

Mmmm...you can get a monopod free if you subscribe to a mag (sorry can't for the life of me think which one it is). Maybe if you trawl through the forum messages you'll find out.

I think the tripod model on offer is a Manfrotto 676B. Not sure whether it's any good, especially someone of your height. I have the Manfrotto 685B Neotech and comes up to my height, which is also 6 foot and really saves my back..

Sorry I can't help any further.

Mark

Ps. agree with Alexis re the UV filter. If you're spending/ have spent that much on glass, you really don't wanna scrimp with filter quality..

Alright all?

I've discovered I've got £150 to spend on toys, namely an MB-D80, a monopod with ball head, and an 82mm UV filter for a Sigma 100-300. Is this craziness?

A couple of provisos:
  • I'd like the grip to be nikon branded
  • I don't mind little known brands, ebay or imports for the monopod or filter.
  • I'm 6 foot, and if the monopod was light and packed up small then that'd be a bonus.

No, now it's craziness... :thinking: Can anyone offer some handy hints on gear?

I have a Hama 82mm Skylight 1A filter that came off my 100-300 when I sold it, you can have it for free, it's unboxed, but scratch free, however the split ring that keeps the glass in place moves little bit as if out of shape, it's the internal one, so once the filter is fitted to the lens it will be fine.

Pm me you address and I can get it posted tomorrow.

Also - your grip HERE for £90 and a decent monopod ( not the lightest ) but don't compromise weight and size for useability HERE - £37.99, I use one and its superb, any of the smaller ballheads from manfrotto will do for it too although you can get away with fitting straight to the pod without a head if money is tight. Ok P+P will add a bit more to these prices but not much. Now these maybe aren't the absolute cheapest I only looked for a few seconds using google, but at least it will give you an idea.

Mike.

Back