Cheap but good computer?

i heard there are still driver problems with graphics cards,printer cards, and the like?

nice tests btw. How much ram is on that test machine?

It's a 13 months old Dell XPS M1710 with 2GB RAM, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo processor, nVidia 7950 GTX 512MB GFX. This is my daily bread and butter machine, used as a desktop replacement.

I'm also running Vista 32 on....

- a 3 years old Shuttle SN95G5 V1 home built PC with 1GB RAM, Athlon 64 3000+, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB GFX (my old media centre PC) connected to a Sony 1366x768 LCD TV over DVI-HDMI

- a 2 months old Dell XPS 420 PC with 3GB RAM, Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, nVidia 8800 GT GFX (my new media centre PC) connected to a Sony 1920x1080 LC TV over DVI-HDMI

- a 6 months old Philips X59 laptop with 2GB RAM, 1.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Intel integrated GFX (my travel laptop)

- a 6 months old Philips X66 laptop with 1GB RAM, 1.06 GHz Core Duo ULV, Intel integrated GFX (my girlfriend's laptop)

Speed of operation is commensurate with hardware spec, but Vista, and all the applications running on the machines, are stable.

I do have a 6 year old HP Deskjet 995c Bluetooth printer, for which HP refuse to release updated drivers, but I can run it with drivers for the Deskjet 990 via a USB connection. Driver support was a problem, a year ago, but by and large the peripheral/component manufacturers should have woken up and got with the program. If you have old kit then maybe you will have a problem getting Vista drivers. Do your research before parting with your cash. If a machine is supplied with Vista you would like to think that it should be just peachy :)

Well I got my new machine from computerplanet over a week ago now, loaded with XP64bit, 4gigs of ram and a couple of 320gb hard drives, and despite some trepidation about drivers and software on the 64bit operating system, all is well. Everything has installed perfectly - the only issue was with a DVD playing program, but quickly found a resolution to that which included a quick download from micrsoft and so far so good. Once Renault update their drivers to Vista 64bit, I will follow suit on th eoperating system, but for now I am just over the moon I finally have a fabulously quick machine with a monitor [thanks badgerbaiter] that really does show my pictures properly :woot:

Thanks folks! Just ordered myself a Dell Vostro 500mb HD and 2mb RAM with a 19 inch monitor for £449 all in. Happy bunny! :):clap:

Thanks folks, just ordered myself a Dell Vostro with 500mb HD and 2mb RAM with a 19 inch monitor (that bit is new) for £449 all in. Happy bunny! :)

Tesco...£399.00

e4500 dual core processor.....2.20
3gb ram
500gb hard drive
optical mouse
keyboard
dvd dual writer
19 in 1 card reader
and finally it comes with a 19" monitor

Back