Cheap filters - false economy!

smooth

Threebrows
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all! :wave:

Now I know this has been discussed before but just thought I would share my experience.

I have always been of the mind that I should always smack on a filter to protect the front element of my lenses. I only use them for protection so I purchased a cheapy ones from ebay - hoya UV.

I have recently being taking more closeups - especially of flowers - and have noticed how much sharper some peoples shots are on here. Then it occured to me about reading a thread a while back (that I just spent 10 mins hunting for to no avail) where the OP had a marked difference in sharpness when they removed the filter.

I have a 24-105 L, fiddy 1.4 and a 200 2.8 L and will now be spending to get genuine high quality filters.

Lesson=learned. So thanks to the OP in that thread. Thanks to TP. This place ROCKS (y)

\end transmission.

Or you could just take them off and only use them at all when conditions dictate. Protect the lens with its hood!

Fair point Ed.
I just never dreamed it would make such a difference - it stands to reason though - adding another layer of optics that weren't intended when the focus was calibrated etc.

I would leave them off but sods law states the one time I dont put them on....

I use the usual filters - CP, ND's, etc, but cannot work out why people would pay for very good lenses and then put cheap glass / or another layer in front of them (apart from protection in extreme conditions, like sandstorms, salt, etc). That is just me though and I know that lots of people have filters on their lenses all the time. A friend of mine had a similar ecxperience to yourself in that he couldn't get the image quality that he was expecting. Filter off and he was almost there!

Chris :)

Back