Cheap Flash Guns - Are They Worth The Hassle??

Name
The King Of Prestwich
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

I am umming and aahhing about buying a cheap flash gun from Ebay for my 400D. I am sick of getting nasty horrible shadows and red eye when using the built in flip up jobby and am fancying a bounce flash but I can't really stretch to a 430EX or equivilant. I fully understand that 'you get what you pay for' but are either of these two worth a punt until I'm rich and famous?? :cautious:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-for-Can...ryZ48515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advanced-TTL-...ryZ48515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For some reason my hyperlink button's not working, sorry!!! :bang:

Both those sellers are running the postage scam, it just doesn't cost £9 to post something like that in the UK, never mind the £13 the other seller is looking for. The true price for each of them is £32 and £28, you can buy a Metz from Jessops for £47 and a Sigma for £69 just now. Better waiting a bit and saving up.

Re ebay postage, i always thought people loaded the postage costs so they wouldn't have to pay as much commission to ebay.....

That and they don't have to refund as much on faulty items.

"cheapo" flashguns may exceed the hotshoe max voltage of around 6v
caveat emptor :rules:

Right you've put me off enough between you!!! I think it'll be a Metz 36 AF-4 probably for me, roll on me birthday in March!!!!

Defiantly stay away from cheap ones, especially if you are looking to bounce the light.

My friend used to have a (Jessops I think) cheap flash and it could only twist vertically up, so it's useless for bouncing light off ceilings if you want to take a portrait shot.

Plus you get so much better build quality and more options with a Canon, i'd definitely recommend saving up more to get one.

For your no. 1 workhorse flash gun it pays to go for the best specced A brand (proprietary is best) you can afford. Wait and save up some more if you possibly can. Cheapo flash guns – IF they work as advertised! – may be useful as slaved second and third flashes.

£ 12.99 for a flash gun isn't exactly a confidence builder as to its prowess.

I'm using a Canon 380ex at the moment, can't swivel it but for what I use it for it's ideal.

you can get a sigma ST-500 flash for around £60 if you look around, it's alright, not a 430ex but stll worth £60 :)

Yep, the Sigma's aren't at all bad. They're usually pretty powerful, but build quality lets them down, plus they won't fully function with all the external flash capabilities of your 400D, so I'd definately recommend you get a Canon 430EX.

invest in quality. Even if it's a used 430EX, you'll get your money's worth out of it if flash is a big thing for you. Plus the creative control on a 'proper' flash is something that's worth its weight in gold when the time comes.

Back