"Cheap" GoPro Handhell Gimbal

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering a handheld gimbal for my GoPro. I'm not a massive photographer or film maker, so don't really want to spend hundreds on something that will only get used a couple of times.

Is there such a thing as a "cheap" gimbal, whilst also still being good quality?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Gimbals and Gopros have become very popular for use with larger drones. Most of the gimbals are designed for under-slung mounting of Hero 3 or Hero 4 cameras, mounted without the waterproof case to save weight. Whilst it is always possible to mount an alternative camera such as a Mobius, it is important that the new camera is light enough and properly balanced to avoid overloading the gimbal motors. Some gimbals depend upon the drone flight controller to operate, others have a control board with gyros built in, the latter type just need a power supply from such as a 3 cell li-po battery. I'm about to acquire a secondhand drone which comes with a Tarot T-2D gimbal, this make is well regarded and costs typically £75-85 new, plus a power source of choice. The following video shows this gimbal mounted on a motorcycle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX3HigN8r8Y

There are plenty more videos on the Tarot, including set up and tuning carried out by connecting to a PC. Cheaper Chinese sourced gimbals are available from the likes of Ebay or Hobbyking, these seem to start from around the £35 mark, the quality decidedly variable and often with poor Chinglish instructions, again Youtube offers plenty of advice, search for 'cheap gimbals'. The Tarot and camera could be mounted on a camera steady for handheld video and I think would be equally effective compared to the very expensive DJI Osmo.

Are these type of things any good? Even if it's just to "get started"?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Senhai-Stea...id=1456332284&sr=8-5&keywords=steadycam+gopro
41%2BPSOjFLyL.jpg

I just don't see how these work to keep the camera steady compared to an electronic gimbal.... Is it simply just down to weights on the bottom helping to keep things steady?

Last edited:
Back