Cheap photo paper

Edit My Images
Yes
I was searching around eBay and came across some cheap photo paper under brand names such as Hartwii with 60 sheets of A3+ for £20 and wondered if anyone had tried this. I'm assuming with paper it's a case of you get what you pay for ? However sometimes there are some bargains in the photography world

Personally if I am using OEM inks (I have ever used OEM inks) I would not even consider using a paper of indeterminate origin & performance.

But everyone's mileage my vary........and one factor may be what are you expecting of the print quality?

Having said and depending on the printer(?) and if you make your own custom ICC profiles then maybe worth a go???

I've used cheap paper (Agfa branded from Aldi IIRC) and it gave pretty good prints using the Canon generic glossy paper preset. They haven't lasted as well as prints on either genuine Canon paper or Ilford Galerie. After 10 years in an open ended holder in a conservatory (not ideal storage conditions for prints!!!) they've started to fade. I've only used 6x4 and always use genuine Canon inks.

I once made my parents a calender and, on the basis that each picture only got exposed to light for a month, used cgeap Tesco Value photo paper. This was around ten years ago. One test print got left in a pile, partially covered by other prints. After about a week the exposed part was visibly lighter than the covered part - not much lighter but visibly so. This was using HP's own inks so it was not the ink.

IMO in regard to longevity of the print.

The use of OEM papers & inks is a combined chemistry and that results in the best of performance including longevity.

Having said that with custom profile you can ensure the best colour performance but with an unknown longevity.

Back