Cheaper/decent Tether Cable?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I’m possibly going to be getting an Olympus E-M1 Mark3, with tethering being one of my uses.

However, when I searchonline for tether cables, the only once that seem to appear straight of are from Tether Tool, which are very highly priced! Now I appreciate they are probably the best quality/length for pro studio but I just want one to work in a small room with a tabletop studio to my pc... so basically can anyone recommend a decent but cheaper tether cable?

Cheers :)

Hi all I’m possibly going to be getting an Olympus E-M1 Mark3, with tethering being one of my uses.

However, when I searchonline for tether cables, the only once that seem to appear straight of are from Tether Tool, which are very highly priced! Now I appreciate they are probably the best quality/length for pro studio but I just want one to work in a small room with a tabletop studio to my pc... so basically can anyone recommend a decent but cheaper tether cable?

Cheers :)
Surely it's just a standard USB cable?

Last edited:
I just use a standard cable on my D810 and have never had any problems. I cable tied a keyring hook to it to stop it pulling out of the camera.

I got this one:

I used one of these hooks:

Thank you everyone for your help with this one, I must admit I did think it was a bit expensive.

I must admit I wasn’t sure whether it’s was just a standard cable or now, but in that case I’ll just get a longer standard usb :)

Reactions: Sky
Just be sure to get one that has the correct small end plug.

AFAIK the Olympus is not the microUSB 'B' ........is it a 'C' type? None too sure, so just make sure!

Just be sure to get one that has the correct small end plug.

AFAIK the Olympus is not the microUSB 'B' ........is it a 'C' type? None too sure, so just make sure!
I'm not certain. When I mislaid my PEN-F cable I couldn't find anything that matched - maybe it's an Olympus special, like this.
Olympus seem to call it a USB5/USB6

Last edited:
I have just checked my E-M1MK2 manual and it says it is USB type C connection.

HTH :)

PS rather than buying (a more expensive?) type C to type A cable......would an A to A extension cable be alright? Plus, bear mind AFAIK USB without a booster is only usable up to 10M long.

PPS having re-read the OP...it does not specify length. The camera comes with a 1.8M cable in the box ;)

Last edited:
You should get a cable in the box, like the one in Brian's link. The camera has a USB-C connector, so you either need a USB-A 'male' to USB-C cable like this or (if you computer has USB-C sockets) a USB-C to USB-C cable. I would stick to known brands (e.g. Anker, Belkin, Ikea) for anything involving USB-C:
but there's no need to buy overpriced cables that cost more than the original Olympus cable.

Last edited:
Thank you again everyone for you extra help and tip, all very much appreciated :)

This is why I like the forum because everyone is helpful & also means I don’t end up spending loads of money I don’t need to haha :)

Reactions: Sky
Back