Cheapest place to buy a 40D

Edit My Images
Yes
I would really like to upgrade my camera, and I think the 40D would be the ideal one to look at...(feel free to suggest others)

Now I must add there is no way I can actually afford to change camera, but purely out of interest .. where is the best place to buy one.

So far I have

Amazon : £612
Camera Price Buster : £588 (actually 598 on the sellers site)
OR Ebay canon outlet (refurbished): currently going for just over 400 with 2 hours left but I am watching the bids...

Just really for future reference but would like to know if by some fantastic miracle I came into some money where I could get one..

As another note I am going to email one of the shops from camera price buster as they offer trade ins to see how much it would be by trading in my 300D.. is this worth while or is it best to try and sell it?

Best place to buy is from 2nd hand classifieds, put a Wanted ad up in the for sale forum.

As for the 300d, you'll get about £175-£200 for it now i'm afraid, that's with accessories, lens, and CF card..

They're always popping up now on classifieds, as people are upgrading to the 5d/1d/(Some even go to the 50d).

there is one for 580 inc del, in the google ads on this page

Yeah didn't think the 300 would be worth an awful lot now :(

Shame that would be with a lens as well as there isn't a lens I have that I could do without

Yeah didn't think the 300 would be worth an awful lot now :(

Shame that would be with a lens as well as there isn't a lens I have that I could do without

If you are going to buy a new 40D - buy it with the 17-85IS lens and seel your 300D with the 18-55 lens - if you don't still have it, you could either pick a second hand one up relatively cheaply to sell on with it or just sell as a body - personaly though I think you'd have a better & probably quicker sale, selling with a lens (y)

mate get a used one, i picked up my 40d on here for 400 quid with a 50mm lens, and 4gb memory card + a camera bag.
no need to buy new.

Aye second hand is looking like the best option... still have the 2 kit lenses for the 300D so could sell the 18-55 with it as long as I can get something to cover that range again when / If I get a 40d..... the 17-85IS lens sounds good though

I purchased my 40D from a classified ad on another forum because I couldn't afford to buy new, and I did get a good package (included body, extra 2 batteries and grip, which I was going to buy anyway.) The only thing is that there was no warranty remaining on the camera, but it was in excellent condition.

Maybe it would be worth keeping the 300D as a backup camera? Especially if you do paid photography or events.

I purchased my 40D from a classified ad on another forum because I couldn't afford to buy new, and I did get a good package (included body, extra 2 batteries and grip, which I was going to buy anyway.) The only thing is that there was no warranty remaining on the camera, but it was in excellent condition.

Maybe it would be worth keeping the 300D as a backup camera? Especially if you do paid photography or events.

You might be right there if I am not going to get much for it

I bought mine recently from Harrisons in Sheffield second hand for £425 with a 12 month warranty. They had another one the week after for £450.

I believe that stocks of the 40d are running out - Harrisons haven't had a new one for ages, despite appearing on camerpricebuster.

I was only offered £100 part ex for my 350d + 18-55, so a private sale for £180 is what I'll do with it if my dad doesn't want it.

I bought mine recently from Harrisons in Sheffield second hand for £425 with a 12 month warranty. They had another one the week after for £450.

I believe that stocks of the 40d are running out - Harrisons haven't had a new one for ages, despite appearing on camerpricebuster.

I was only offered £100 part ex for my 350d + 18-55, so a private sale for £180 is what I'll do with it if my dad doesn't want it.

Which one is harrisons? is that near Bramhall lane? If so I think that's where I bought my first ever camera while I was at Uni

ALSO: would considering selling everything I have and going Nikon be an option, are nikon cheaper for their 40D equiverlant? if so which one is it.. I really can't get my head around the nikon models.... and I don't want to start a nikon v canon debate....

Yep, fairly near Bramall Lane.

Very happy with the camera, hardly looks used to me. So much easier to change settings on than the 350d and the huge screen is great.

Couldn't decide between 40d an 50d, but I reckon that a 40d for £425 was well worth a punt rather than £850 for the 50d.

And then perhaps I won't feel so bad if the 60d comes out with much better spec...

They are all too good for me anyway.

Yep, fairly near Bramall Lane.

Very happy with the camera, hardly looks used to me. So much easier to change settings on than the 350d and the huge screen is great.

Couldn't decide between 40d an 50d, but I reckon that a 40d for £425 was well worth a punt rather than £850 for the 50d.

And then perhaps I won't feel so bad if the 60d comes out with much better spec...

They are all too good for me anyway.

Yeah that's the one I went to... really liked that shop as well, was a 2mp Pentax point and shoot that cost me hundreds when I bought it, sold it last month for a fiver at a car boot sale :)

I just need to upgrade as the 300D doesn't do the FPS I would like and the buffer is stupidly small but if I am going to upgrade I might as well get something that will last me a while rather than going to a 450D or something then finding at a later stage I want the next level up

EDIT: ebay auction just ended for one of the officially refurbished canon 40D's I was watching £475 body only with 12 months warranty... seems a little steep to me

I got my secondhand 40D from ebay together with a brand new 18-200mm IS lens for £686. The 40D was his second camera so it had hardly been used and the lens came with the 50D he bought to replace the 40D.

There are bargains out there if you keep looking!

I would really like to upgrade my camera, and I think the 40D would be the ideal one to look at...(feel free to suggest others)

Now I must add there is no way I can actually afford to change camera, but purely out of interest .. where is the best place to buy one.

So far I have

Amazon : £612
Camera Price Buster : £588 (actually 598 on the sellers site)
OR Ebay canon outlet (refurbished): currently going for just over 400 with 2 hours left but I am watching the bids...

Just really for future reference but would like to know if by some fantastic miracle I came into some money where I could get one..

As another note I am going to email one of the shops from camera price buster as they offer trade ins to see how much it would be by trading in my 300D.. is this worth while or is it best to try and sell it?

Well, Amazon £612, or for just a bit more you could have the 50D :D
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/index.php?id=23&product_uid=1405

I bought mine from someone on here (cant remember who, its a age thing)
i love it, i use it more than my 5D, and i still have my 300d which gets used
now and then, i would never sell it.

Back