Beginner cheapest way to get into medium format digital

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
any suggestions as to the cheapest, most economical way to get into medium format digital photography ?
recommendations for best affordable second hand gear appreciated
thanks

Pentax 645Z probably. £6500 for the 51 MP, £5000 for the 40MP (645D)
Not sure about second hand.
If you went for the 645D you would be as well going for the Nikon D800.

Just checked, there is a 645D on ebay for £3000...

(there's another at £1200 new, but looks like a scam)

Last edited:
Cheapest? Something like a Mamiya RB? And start off with a Nikon 8000 scanner? Then remain on the lookout for a digital back?

Unfortunately there can be so many variations to what is cheapest.

Is there a cheap way?[emoji1] just remortgage and go phase 1 or a blad!

film or digital this is the question!
film you don''t hace to sell your kidney!

theres probably older backs that are cheaper, but some require teathering

film or digital this is the question!
film you don''t hace to sell your kidney!
The clue is in the thread title.

Sony and someone else (I can't remember offhand) will be releasing medium format cameras later this year which are expected to be very much cheaper than the opposition.

The clue is in the thread title.

Sony and someone else (I can't remember offhand) will be releasing medium format cameras later this year which are expected to be very much cheaper than the opposition.

I've heard the same rumor, but I cant remember who or where it was. I think it was still about 3k and it was a fixed lens camera...... can't be certain.

I've heard the same rumor, but I cant remember who or where it was. I think it was still about 3k and it was a fixed lens camera...... can't be certain.
I forgot to add a smiley :)

Well. the alleged medium format digital cameras or backs are smaller than their film equivalents so are not really medium format.

Steve.

What size is medium format? - right now it's defined by 120 format film as that's all we have left, but smaller medium format films have been available and even within 120 format the negative size varies from 6x4.5 all the way to 6x17.

If you define medium format as "bigger than 135 format" then the digital sensors involved meet the criteria.

The Pentax 645D has a 33x44mm sensor... so just over half the area of a 645 film frame.

Steve.

Pentax 645Z probably. £6500 for the 51 MP, £5000 for the 40MP (645D)
If you went for the 645D you would be as well going for the Nikon D800.

For those without specific resolution requirements I suspect the allure of medium format photographs is the more sudden transition from in-focus to out-of-focus areas of the picture that comes from the bigger sensor & longer focal length lenses* one would use with them.

*Note for internet pedants: to get the same field of view that shorter focal length lenses would give on a camera with a smaller sensor, obviously.

i think there can be a "look" to mf and lf, which ive only seen with otus on 35mm

Back