Chernobyl's legacy

S

Sean_Mcr

Some people might know of the work of Paul Fusco, he has a long history with social comment photography dating back 40 years. He's a member of Magnum and a tipical Magnum shooter. The following shots are from his book which has been out for some years, which i own.

Here you can see many of the shots from the book, with commentary by Fusco himself, which you can leave off if you just want to focus on the images http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/chernobyl.aspx

I got in to a massive & pointless debate with pixal peepers on Fred Miranda, that was soul destroying, the photos would have been better sharper ect i'd have cropped it blah. I have no idea why people like that lift camera

It might not be easy watching for some, it's not meant to be naturally.

Sean_Mcr said:
Some people might now of the work of Paul Fusco, he has a long history with social comment photography dating back 40 years. He's a member of Magnum and a tipical Magnum shooter. The following shots are from his book which has been out for some years, which i own.

Here you can see many of the shots from the book, with commentary by Fusco himself, which you can leave off if you just want to focus on the images http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/chernobyl.aspx

I got in to a massive & pointless debate, with pixal peepers on Fred Mirnada. That was soul destroying, the photos would have been better sharper ect i'd have cropped it blah. I have no idea why people like that lift camera

It might not be easy watching for some, it's not meant to be naturally.

Just looking at this. Cant stop crying. jesus help those poor people. Some of that imagery is stunning.

Thanks for the link.

Agreed - so tragic and heartbreaking are those shots, words couldnt even come close to summing it up.

That's absolutely awful. I never would have thought in my worst dreams that deformities like that would happen. That's probably just me being naive, having never seen that kind of thing before. Even so... your heart's gotta bleed for those kids.

Maybe some kind of warning in the title though?

Catdaddy said:
That's absolutely awful. I never would have thought in my worst dreams that deformities like that would happen. That's probably just me being naive, having never seen that kind of thing before. Even so... your heart's gotta bleed for those kids.

Maybe some kind of warning in the title though?

Never quoted myself before, but there's a first time for everything:)

"It might not be easy watching for some, it's not meant to be naturally"

They've never made me cry to be honest, angry maybe. But in a twisted way they've in-forced my belief that photography at its best says something about who we are.

What we're seeing is a man that has spent 40 years questioning the world around him, asking questions of us and himself. Theses are questions that need to be asked, the answers are sometimes hard to take

Very good stuff there, as I would expect from magnum. I wish the measurebators would get a new hobby really. Either that or they should be forced to use high iso film for a year. That'd sort 'em out!

As for the event itself, perhaps somebody should email that collection of shots to our current energy minister to consider whilst they're planning our new slew of nuclear reactors!

Gandhi said:
Very good stuff there, as I would expect from magnum. I wish the measurebators would get a new hobby really. Either that or they should be forced to use high iso film for a year. That'd sort 'em out!

As for the event itself, perhaps somebody should email that collection of shots to our current energy minister to consider whilst they're planning our new slew of nuclear reactors!

You know what Pal, that aint nothing

On one of the magnum in motion expeditions. There's some shots from kosevo, a girl has been raped, it's a very powerful statement on mans inhumanity to man, such shots bring such atrocities to the worlds attention.

On viewing this shot, one person remarked that the shot deserved to be sharper, that it would have been better sharper. This is the same person that had an issue with fusco's work

tough stuff to look at, very powerful

Very moving... I watched a documentary not too long ago about the devastating effects of Chernobyl and the dreadful deformities that had ocurred because of it :(

Back