Chest bags

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at getting a chest bag for my Sony A7RIII whilst hiking, I don't fancy hanging the camera and tamron 50-400 from a peak design clip, can anyone recommend a chest bag please?

Lowepro used to do a quite large waist bag if that helps ,pretty sure others do/ did as well

I think the issue may be that most chest packs are quite small.

The Fidlock snapsnap is designed to connect to the rucksack straps on both sides and take the weight off the neck strap.

Never seen one in the flesh, but have used other Fidlock products

As Leaky5 says above all the chest packs I've seen are too small for the kit you have, most seem intended for things like gloves and filters, not a 50-400mm. Best thing I can think of is a small-ish camera bag and modify the straps to either clip onto your backpack (if you use one) or to be more practical than just hanging around your neck. This wont cost much even if you have to get a shop to do.
Only other idea is belt pouches.

I'm looking at getting a chest bag for my Sony A7RIII whilst hiking, I don't fancy hanging the camera and tamron 50-400 from a peak design clip, can anyone recommend a chest bag please?
Something like a Peak Design Sling bag might be what you're looking for? I doubt you'd find a chest bag big enough for that combo. A Peak Design Clip apparently has a weight limit of 90KG so it should hold that camera and lens easily.

Or something like a Peak Design Slide strap worn across the body works well. I use that all the time with a Fuji X-T4 and 100-400mm lens and can carry the camera all day with no complaints.

I can't use a backpack/rucksack because I use have to use a wheelchair. However, I can manage to wear a rucksack backwards on my chest.

The one I have is the Lowepro Flipside 400. When I open it, it folds down onto my lap where I can access it very easily. I can also easily slip it on or off as I need to.

I also use a Lowepro Inverse 200 belt bag if I'm only using one camera, again I wear this on my lap.

I've never found a more suitable chest bag despite several searches over the last few years, so I'll also be interested if you can find one . . .

Not from personal experience but ....

Lowepro Top loader 75 with optional chest harness but it says max 200mm with lens hood. Might be big enough depending on the minimum length of the zoomed in Tamron?

I have one of those too BB and it's a great bag, but it's not very comfortable compared to the others. OK for just a quick session with the one lens though . . .

Lowepro make a flipside 500, thats what I use mostly. It's a fair bit deeper than the 400 (why I switched up from the 400), and a bit bigger all around. You can also attach pouches to the sides, I got some fair size molle ones off I think Amazon, they would take a body no problem, but probably not a gripped one.

Thanks a lot, this has given me some options. In dreaming of a lighter weight set up for my back and this is part of my idea, that and potentially switching over to Olympus so I can ditch my tripod

I very occasionally use a TopLoader 75 with a lens fitted to the body and another at the bottom of the bag in a pouch. Not sure it would take a 50-400 but it can easily handle a 70-300.

I've seen these recommended on some US forums.
No experience myself but they seem to cater for longer lenses.

Last edited:
Back