Chester Zoo today - Spectacled Bear, etc.

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst BT sorted out my internet connection I decided to take a last minute trip to the Zoo today & met up with Mark (Papalazarou).
Have had no time yet to process any of my shots from today except for this one - will get the rest up tomorrow.
This was taken with Marks 1Ds Mk2 which he kindly let me use to take some shots (I want one now though which is a really bad idea :LOL:). All of the animals that never tend to show their faces were up & about whilst the usual ones decided to hide for the day :thinking:
C&C welcome & appreciated as usual (y)

Spectacled_bear_001.jpg

Cheers for looking (y)

Very nice Mike, in three visits to Chester this year I've not seen the Spectacled Bear. Got any Sealion shots?

Very cute Mike - captured the expression perfectly. I'm not convinced by the composition though - the tree and branch frame nicely on the right, but that creates a vaccum on the left..... could you have cropped some from the right to balance the shot and take the subject out of centre?

...Got any Sealion shots?

:razz:

Cheers for the comments Steve, Jonny & CT (y)
I have cropped a massive amount from this shot, I had no idea at all how much detail there was in the 1Ds Mk2 files - A bit more forgiving than my 1D!
I admit it... It was such a novelty to be able to crop images & I couldn't help myself :LOL: I'll sort through some more of my shots & try some different framing to see what works best.

I had no idea at all how much detail there was in the 1Ds Mk2 files - A bit more forgiving than my 1D!
I admit it... It was such a novelty to be able to crop images & I couldn't help myself

Incredible isn't it?!?!?! Effectively just over 2 8mp sensors stacked together :LOL:

Cheers for the comment Adam (y)
I do normally edit things like that (guilty of editing too much normally :LOL:) but the wind was moving the grass around & I just tried to snap it as it was out of the way for a more natural shot. In the other shots of the bear I have edited a bit more & removed the odd bit of grass & also some weird grey blob that was attached to the tree as I just couldn't bring myself to bin many of the files (novelty value & all that :LOL:)

Awww! :love:
That's birthday card material that is!

Seriously, I bought a b'day card the other day with photo of wild rabbits on and I swear Ive see much better pics on here ... this being a lovely example!
Think we should start our own card business on TPF! :D

been trying to draw a border on this to show where I'd have cropped to, but even th emost rudimentary tools i take for granted at home seem to be futuristic as far as IT here are concerned!! Will play when i get home Mike :)

:LOL: No problem Jonny - I never normally have any problem with cropping (I suppose because I don't normally do it at all :LOL:) but this image is weird.
I don't want to lose the detail in the bears face by zooming too far out but also want to maintain the nice tree framing by not zooming too close - oh, & just to overcomplicate matters I am sticking to the relative crop size too :LOL:

Hello Mike nice shots, you got all the best ones and i was left with a few shots at the end of this shoot. I wll have to put up the ones i took, realy pleased with the ones with your 300 2.8 and the ones with my 70-200 2.8. I need to crop into 70-200 shots, but they look good.

just to overcomplicate matters I am sticking to the relative crop size too

LOL - nothing like a bit of masochism on a Wednesday!

...you got all the best ones and i was left with a few shots at the end of this shoot.

That's what happens when I get too close to a 1Ds Mk2 :nono: :LOL:
Had a great day & will definitely have to go again sometime soon - will try to arrange another mass TP meet as soon as the weather starts getting a little less unpredictable.
I'm sure you won't have the problems I'm having with deciding where to crop this image as you'll be used to having excess megapixels.
Cheers again for letting me use your camera & give me a shout if you have any more probs with uploading your images (y)

I have uploaded some pics into my gallery if you want to take a look there. Dont know where to put them, so you can all have a look like you just did.
Didnt like how my Jag pictures turned out, i can kind of see the effect of the plastic window.

Hey mike i see you never cloned out that piece off grass, you should have held on a bit, he munched it down after you finished. LOL.

You always seem to manage the perfect framing don't you ;)

Superb mate....really works :)

Back