Chesterton Windmill Star Trails

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
So last night TPer's from all over converged on Chesterton Windmill for a little bit of star trail fun, and a great evening was had (y)

This was my effort from the evening, as this was taken with my fisheye lens there is a little bit of a expected distortion but I can live with that because it allows me to get so much in :D

85/366 (450) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my images C&C welcomed and appreciated :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Great picture Matt, and I think you'll be the only one to have got Polaris in shot with that fisheye of yours.

The distortion adds to the picture to me.

(y)great result matt

Great picture Matt, and I think you'll be the only one to have got Polaris in shot with that fisheye of yours.

The distortion adds to the picture to me.

Thanks Ben, I suspect that your right on the Polaris front, as to the distortion, I'll maybe put up an uncorrected version later, as this has had a fair amount of correction to make the windmill levelish :D I'm looking forward to seeing your results and hope that you can recover that card

(y)great result matt

Thanks Steve :D I'm pleased that you like it :D

Matt

MWHCVT said:
I'm looking forward to seeing your results and hope that you can recover that card

Matt

We'll see how it goes tonight. I've definitely got a 45minute one(ish) from after I replaced the failed card. So wasn't a complete bust for me. I'll sort certainty later on the try to recover.

Fingers crossed!

We'll see how it goes tonight. I've definitely got a 45minute one(ish) from after I replaced the failed card. So wasn't a complete bust for me. I'll sort certainty later on the try to recover.

Fingers crossed!

Exactly you will still get good trails from 45 minutes (y) I wish that guy with the telescope hadn't turned up though as that's give me a new type of photography to lust after :eek: though was really amazing to see Saturn (y)

Exactly you will still get good trails from 45 minutes (y) I wish that guy with the telescope hadn't turned up though as that's give me a new type of photography to lust after :eek: though was really amazing to see Saturn (y)

Great Star Trail Matt, go for the Telescope Astophotography is great fun and a big learning curve though. Here is a sample image of the Orion Nebula taken with the camera connected to the scope.

M4228Jan.jpg

Remove the image if you wish.

Thanks

That's brilliant Anthony (y) how longer exposure was that? and sorry I should have dropped you a PM about this meet, I will be doing another one soon and starting the thread in the next week or so, I'll let you know once it's online (y) if you want

Matt

Great shot Matt,
i am thinking you like the location as i pops up in a lot of your shots.

I do Darren, I love it, but this was a first for me to do a startrail there, it was obvious to be that this had to be the location for organising this first star trails meet (y) I'm pleased that you like it :D

Matt

That's brilliant Anthony (y) how longer exposure was that? and sorry I should have dropped you a PM about this meet, I will be doing another one soon and starting the thread in the next week or so, I'll let you know once it's online (y) if you want

Matt

Thanks Matt I think is was around an hour or so (160 images) with the scope tracking no other guidance. I took a Startrail the other night great location overlooking a lake, I think I posted it in Landscape / Scenery. Yep mail next time your out, cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt I think is was around an hour or so (160 images) with the scope tracking no other guidance. I took a Startrail the other night great location overlooking a lake, I think I posted it in Landscape / Scenery. Yep mail next time your out, cheers.

Thanks for the details that's really very impressive (y) and shall let you know once the thread is up (y)

Lovely shot Matt, looks like you all had good fun

What wide angle lens are you using Ive forgot,

Thanks Dave, I think that everyone had a good time though Ben, suffered a disappointing card failure he should still get something from it (y)

If it's clear on the TPcon I shall try and put something together for a couple of hours (y) hopefully on the first day :D

Matt

Very cool, like this alot. One of my wants is to get a star trail with nice foreground(like this) and Polaris in.

Very cool, like this alot. One of my wants is to get a star trail with nice foreground(like this) and Polaris in.

Thank you (y) you should get out and give it a go (y) if your unsure about the process then check out my guide a link is in my signature (y)

Never mind I remembered now thanks

Sorry mate I totally missed that bit :bonk: :bonk: but for those that are interested it's the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye (y)

Matt

Sorry mate I totally missed that bit :bonk: :bonk: but for those that are interested it's the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye (y)

Matt

Reason I asked is I had a small windfall so was thinking of a new lens, not decided as yet think I may go for Sigma 10-20 F3.5 or 4.5 then I remembered yours was a fish eye

Reason I asked is I had a small windfall so was thinking of a new lens, not decided as yet think I may go for Sigma 10-20 F3.5 or 4.5 then I remembered yours was a fish eye

If like me you can live with and actually like the effect of the fish eye, I could not recommend it more, if you nail focus, which considering it's fully manually is not that hard it's so sharp that you'll cut yourself on it (y)

Matt

you didn't set it on fire..... poor effort.............:thumbsdown:

I wasn't that happy with my first ones, so I binned them......., happy with the second lot though :)

I'm pleased your happy with the second attempt (y) out of interest what was it with the first ones that you weren't happy with?

you didn't set it on fire..... poor effort.............:thumbsdown:

:LOL: :LOL: I did take a little wool with me as a back up but the activity for the evening was stars :D

Matt

I shot the first set in landscape and they were ok, nice enough trails,but the second set I shot in portrait and the trails are much tighter and nicer composition, (apart from a plane doing a massive u turn)

Thought I posted already. Great photo! Really want to try Star Trails but my camera just does not like multiple long exposures.

Thanks Arron I'm pleased you like it (y) and you should have a go, I've looked at the spec's of your camera and see no reason why with a lockable trigger you should have any issue, don't forget that to do multiple long exposures you need to turn off long exposure noise reduction and select multi-shot shooting (y)

Matt

I've tried them in the past but it manages to get to 3 Images on Continuous Shoot Mode before it stops, also when I turn Noise Reduction off after a few shots (in Continuous / Single) it will come up with a Sensor Overheating Warning :(

That would suggest maybe an actual fault with the camera maybe :thinking: I'll be honest and say that I've literally no experience of Sony cameras :shrug: but it may be worth posting a thread about the issues or posting in the sony users thread HERE

Great shot, what time of evening was it?

Thanks this was from about half an hour after sunset and lasting for approx 2 hours of 30 second exposures (y)

Matt

I have not said that i did not like it, apologies if it has offended you, it was just a fact that i have seen better.

I have not said that i did not like it, apologies if it has offended you, it was just a fact that i have seen better.

It takes a lot more than that to offend me :LOL: I just like to know why people don't like my work (y) as I'm always looking to perfect my work (y)

Back