Chillies, Karela, Watermelon and a Pommie!

Dark Star

TPer Emeritus
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah a few more food shots from this evening :)

Hope you enjoy! :)

1) Chillies 1

3064649514_33816cf6a4_o.jpg

2) Chillies 2

3064648628_71e620801f_o.jpg

3) Chillies 3

3064645236_12b83896b8_o.jpg

4) Karela (Indian Bitter Melon)

3063808921_8c60d73c6d_o.jpg

5) Watermelon (for zooki)

3064645262_29fd9be8a3_o.jpg

6) Pomegranate

3064645258_b088f4f657_o.jpg

7) Final Chillies

3064648884_df2962c200_o.jpg

Last edited:
The only one I dont like, foody wise and photography wise is #4, other wise; Looks good (y)

Beautiful colours again John and you're getting great value from the black plate:D:D

I've never(knowingly)seen a Karela but what a great shape,and seeing the pomegranate brought back some childhood memories of eating them with a pin!They were really exotic at the time and we only had them because my friend's dad owned an Indian deli.So thank you for posting those.

#5 for me, simple and colourful. Kiasmum has just missed the pomegranate season in the supermarkets, four for £2 - not quite the delicacy they once were. Great set, again.

MMMMMMMMM!

Chilli's

:D

Number 7 looks like an M&S shot, and works well, and the deep reds in number 6 are very nice also.

Good shots John, the colours and textures are spot on. Has to be the pomegranate (#6) for me.

I agree.. dont like the bitter melon.. (or is that bitter lemon!! ) :D

But LOVE the pomegranate. I am drawn to dark red shots like this and childhood memories spring back too.

They were a real treat then, but Ive not had once since! :shrug:

Thanks everyone :) your comments are most apreciated :)

Looks like the pomegranate is the winner with the Karela bringing up the rear! (painful!!!)

Now - what next...:)?

Lovely still life food shots. Nicely exposed, good detil and great colours. Love the pomegranate. It looks so juicy :clap:

Looks like the pomegranate is the winner with the Karela bringing up the rear! (painful!!!)

Now - what next...:)?

Here's an asparagus tip I took about 3 years ago.... much gentler than a Karela up the rear!! :D:D

Asparagus_Tip.jpg

Lovely still life food shots. Nicely exposed, good detil and great colours. Love the pomegranate. It looks so juicy :clap:

Thanks Maureen another vote for the pom! :)

Here's an asparagus tip I took about 3 years ago.... much gentler than a Karela up the rear!! :D:D

Excellent shot Janice and yes I agree that would be a damn sight easier :)

And if anyone mentions pineapples :help::LOL:

I used to pack Karela :D

OK, I challenge you to find and photograph the following:

Tamarillo
Lycee
Dragon Fruit (nom nom :D)
Passion Fruit
Rambutan
Star fruit
Kumquat
Mangosteen
Physallis

There's a few to be getting on with :LOL:

Out of your set I like the pomegranate best. The rich wet red reminds me of them so much ... I can almost taste it!

I used to pack Karela :D

OK, I challenge you to find and photograph the following:

Tamarillo
Lycee
Dragon Fruit (nom nom :D)
Passion Fruit
Rambutan
Star fruit
Kumquat
Mangosteen
Physallis

There's a few to be getting on with :LOL:

Out of your set I like the pomegranate best. The rich wet red reminds me of them so much ... I can almost taste it!

You are on Jo :) and thanks for commenting (y)

You're just feeding the addiction now :LOL:

:clap: I'll look forward to them John!

I phoned Chris to tell him about your post, and we were reminiscing about the days when we worked together. We used to sit and sample all the lovely fruits together mmmmmm. So I've asked him if he can lay his hands on some of my favourites since he still works there :D So thanks for reminding me!

A pleasure Jo - I nearly bought a dragon fruit last night - wish I had now :)

Great photographs John (y)

Really like the colours, textures and reflections.

Very natural looking, even down to the imperfections on the peppers.

Neil

Thanks Neil and rick - for info the surfaces were either a black plate or a larger black shiny plastic tray! :)

Not sure if it's the point and I'm therefore missing it, but it would seem that your white balance is slightly off. There's something a bit odd about seeing food under what would seem to be a 'warming' light.

Cracking idea though.

A very colourful set John (y) - the pomegranate looks juicy - just a shame they have so many blooming pips! :D

Cheers Donna :) better than bread eh ;)!

Not sure if it's the point and I'm therefore missing it, but it would seem that your white balance is slightly off. There's something a bit odd about seeing food under what would seem to be a 'warming' light.

Cracking idea though.

Cheers glitch :) - it doesn't look off to me though - maybe thats my eyes ;)

Here's what I mean. Original at the top and adjusted version at the bottom.

originalyy1.jpg

adjustedfp5.jpg

It's only slight but it's noticeable. Well, to me it is anyway.

Take nothing away from them though. I'm obsessive about food and I'd spend all day looking at food photography if I could. So you're a somewhat welcome distraction from my usual day-to-day jobs.

Thanks glitch its a subtle difference but yes I see what you mean - more on the way and I will take your point on board :)

Where did you get the black plate from? Just got a macro lens so would love a background like that.

Hi Nicola - the black plate was from Asda - and at £4 it was a snip :) I also use a large black plastic glossy tray - same source :)

Oh it's an actual plate as in dinner plate. I thought it was some technical specially made thing :LOL: Great will nip out and have a look around :)

Oh it's an actual plate as in dinner plate. I thought it was some technical specially made thing :LOL: Great will nip out and have a look around :)

Oh yes nothing complicated here Nicola :D :) just a small squarish plate (y)!

I think ideally I'd like a big black glossy wall or floor tile but I can get my hands on one :(

Back