christening specific advice

big soft moose

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...
Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

I'm pretty experienced with weddings but its been a long time since i shot a christening and it seems my wife has just volunteered my services to do one for her freind in october (for free :bang: )

Also this is a civil christening (which isnt something ive come accross before - sounds like a contradiction in terms to me) taking place in a hall

so anyway just to make sure ive got all the bases covered

a) I'll obviously be getting a shot list from the "client" but if you folks could give me an idea of the likely set list that would be good ? (I'm aware of the basics but don't want to miss anything)

b) whats the usual form with regard to photography during christenings(and yes I'll check with the celebrant and venue) is it likely to be the same as standard wedding rules (no flash, no/minimal moving about etc) ?

c) What are the usual christening specific pit falls to avoid ? (i'm aware of all the generics like buggering up the exposure, stuff growing out of peoples heads and what have you)

(Kit wise unless ive pulled the trigger on geting a 6D by then , i'll be using a 5D classic as my main camera and a 60D or 40D for back up - with a 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, and a 17-50 f2.8 (and yes i'm aware that the latter will only go on the crop body I may also borrow a 24-70 for the FF) plus a 580ex and a 430ex and all the usual cards, batteries reflectors diffusers and blah)

I too got lumbered with one in September. I've done a couple in the past for family, and have done a paid one for a traveler family when nobody else would take it. Why is that important you may ask, that they were travelers? Well, it was more like a wedding! there was about 200 family! :D

For that one, the priest had actually requested no flash, but after seeing some of the family pop flashes like mad up at the font, I started to use mine, bounced. The only trouble I had really was getting them out of my way to get in for the better shots. That's what elbows are for I guess.

Important shots are the obvious ones really - the blessing/baptism get the water flowing onto the baby's forehead.

if it's a case you're not allowed use flash, then crank up that ISO as high as you're comfortable using, because even the quietest babies will move, a lot! And you don't want the main subject blurred. Use yer fast primes wide open.

I'll take in any other tips besides too :)

Back