Christening

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Well here's photos from my first event photography! My girlfriend's baby cousin's Christening. This proved a BIG challenge for me and was rather overwhelming when I was trying to arrange 9 kids into a photo, while battling with rubbish light!

C&C on all photos welcome as always :)

(apologies for oversized images. sorted now :) )

Last edited:
You might want to get them resized, they are over the forum limits :)

Well, its a shame the first one, the focus isnt on the childs face, otherwise this would have been a nice image.

The second is probably the best, but the last two are just snaps, no real thought been put into them really. Hope that wasnt too harsh, just being honest :)

Thanks Betty :) I'm new to all this taking photos of people, so still just learning! Any C&C is good!

Could you possibly tell me how I could transform the large group shot from a snap to a good photograph? :) I'm just not sure what else I can do when I'm fitting so many people in!

Remember your backgrounds. By looking at the windows, you can tell the verticals are out, plus the light from the windows has caused big areas to be over exposed. And the baby has a no smoking sign right above her head ;)

Try cropping it tighter so there is the same amount of space at either end of the image, what I mean is you've cut the guy on the right in half, but the girl at the opposite end has space to spare.

Try standing further away, and always use natural light whenever possible. Also have a play in photoshop, try upping contrast, B+W etc, until you find something you are happier with. I am at work at the moment so cant do it for you, but Ill have a go later if you want?

Can we see anymore? :)

Number 2 for me is the pick of the four, by a country mile!!! - I think the last too are a little like snaps.

In my opinion number 3 is technically quite good for a room that looks dark, however I think the shot is missing any natural interest. For me number 3 is all about the interaction between the baby and the person infront of the baby looking up at her and his back is blocking us from seeing what is going on.

Number 4 for me has a distracting background with the blown windows and it also feels a little like the people have just been plonked together with no thought, like boys vs girls with none of them particularly smiling!!!!!

Thanks for the comments everyone :) I'll take on board what everyone has said and should hopefully improve! It's little things like the no smoking sign, etc. that I need to look out for too.

Betty: Feel free to do what you like with the photo! It'd be nice to see how you can enhance the picture for my learning. I'll post some more pictures up from the day later on. (y)

Unfortunatley, I cant straighten it without chopping off most of the tallests head :D So the wonky windows must remain! Hope you like it :)

jamlid1.jpg

Back