Christmas puds and mince pies

Edit My Images
Yes
A friend has set up a business selling home-made cakes and wanted some shots for her website for the Christmas offerings. All taken with a 5D and either a Tamron 90mm macro or a 50/1.4. Mostly a mix of natural light and bounced or umbrella'd flash. These are just proofs with mixes of white balance and processing. Final shots will be more uniform in style. Products are delicious!

#1 Mince pies
4090079915_1f6933fc94_o.jpg

#2 More...
4090077129_387b425480_o.jpg

#3 Christmas pudding
4090073115_59ef6aa048_o.jpg

#4 More...
4090072049_b71cb7378b_o.jpg

#5 Mincemeat
4090849038_bf8a554f50_o.jpg

looks great. they should have a food photography section on here!

one think I would maybe say and I hope you dont mind. maybe you should have microwaved the christmas pud so its steaming maybe? upto you *** your shots?

other then that nice and sharp and well lit!!

Thanks

Rob

Steaming would have been nice, I agree. We thought of trying to flame it with brandy too but in the end kept it simple. Thanks for the idea though - will suggest we try if we need a reshoot.

Thanks Dai: I took loads of shots with the Christmas tree lights twinkling in the background (usually more obviously Christmas lights than these pic suggest). But I did notice in a few that the subject had been relegated to a minor role and the bokeh was dominant. I think the lights give the shots a bit of magic, but I can appreciate the view that they are also distracting. Let's see what the client thinks.

Some good pictures there - her baking certainly looks good!

Mainly an old Tamron 90/2.8 macro. I've just bought the newer version though so I can see which is best, then one will have to go. I took a couple of shots with the 50/1.4 too (#2 and #5 I think). It was tough to mix the appropriate depth of field with the nice bokeh from circular apertures - #1 for example is quite closed down so the bokeh isn't so nice as #5 which is close to wide open.

Aah, i love the DoF :D Was the first one with the tamron? The bokeh looks just the same as what i get on my tamron! very nice lens indeed (y)

Now i must go, this made me seriously hungry.

Yeah #1 was the Tammy, shut down to f8.

I've just heard from the client and she is very happy with the shots. Her previous shots had everything in focus and she specifically asked for thin dof which is always music to my ears. The only problem was I missed the focus on one particular shot, which was annoying as I found out too late to reshoot (we had eaten it!)

Back