Chronological Filenames

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
There's been an ongoing discussion (or massive argument) at our company about what way our filenames should be named. They all have to have our initials in, and a number for that day, between 1-9999, but it's the date order that's causing issues. I believe it should be Year-Month-Day, but others think it's Day-Month-Year.

20210217SD0001

or

17022021SD0001

Just wondering if there is an industry standard, or absolute correct reason why the first one is correct (because that's how I do it!!!). I believe the second is wrong as you'd be started the first 9 days of the months with images starting with a '0', which doesn't work.

I have always organised my event folders on my laptop like the first option. For example...

2021-02-17 Dundalk v Bohemians

Any thoughts and ideas (backing my argument) would be hugely appreciated.

There's been an ongoing discussion (or massive argument) at our company about what way our filenames should be named. They all have to have our initials in, and a number for that day, between 1-9999, but it's the date order that's causing issues. I believe it should be Year-Month-Day, but others think it's Day-Month-Year.

The ISO standard is year-month-day

I've always used this format as it makes chronological sorting easier.

I believe it should be Year-Month-Day,

Correct. In the format DDMMYY or DD-MM-YY.

Forget any other reason than it's the easiest way to group them into date order on the server or when searching.

DD-MM-YY(YY) returns mixed search results which are inefficient.

It's probably more important for folders than filenames, but that's how I've always worked both in photography and my previous IT career.

Correct. In the format DDMMYY or DD-MM-YY.

Forget any other reason than it's the easiest way to group them into date order on the server or when searching.

DD-MM-YY(YY) returns mixed search results which are inefficient.

It's probably more important for folders than filenames, but that's how I've always worked both in photography and my previous IT career.

Surely "Year-Month-Day" would translate to "YY[YY]-MM-DD" (or "YY[YY]MMDD")?

As a mathematician and former computer programmer and software engineer/analyst, I can say that the date portion has to be yearmonthday with no spaces and no punctuation (no hyphens or underscores). This makes it numerically correct that the date with the largest number is the most recent file.

Unless you use YY and have folders form the last Millennium!
One should only ever use YYYY as I learned from working on the Y2K problem. I sign everything from cheques to legal documents with YYYY. All files with older naming conventions should be updated to fit YYYY.
Mixing differently formatted filenames is never going to be a good idea.

Back