Chucho Valdes

Edit My Images
Yes
My GLW and I went to the Barbican to see Chucho Valdes and his quartet play. We had front row seats and the lighting was dismal as usual. All of them were wearing grey or black and the backdrop was black. The Barbican was trying to save on its electricity bill. I managed to lose all the images by deleting them by accident. Then a copy of Win Undelete did the job and got the images back.

#1 - Chucho (son of Bebo Valdes) and as close as my zoom would get

3061075153_782f34e2ce_o.jpg

#2 - the rest of the quartet in a single image

3061075253_4f0dc71b94_o.jpg

#3 - the lighting (or lack of it)

3061916162_4203052981_o.jpg

#4 - the first bow

3061916262_ce6c56645f_o.jpg

#5 - his sister Mayra

3061916354_b74d44e395_o.jpg

#6 - the final finale

3061916468_28c15ff25f_o.jpg

The conga player was world class and Chucho is the second best Cuban pianist I have seen this year. The music was a very high standard of Cuban jazz - truly scrumptious. Thanks for looking.

They are all a bit soft and noisy (probably due to a combination of the lighting and your kit). You could do with a much faster lens. Also they could all do with a bit more thought with regards to the composition. #5 is probably the best in terms of composition and subject but needs work on the black levels.

They are all a bit soft and noisy (probably due to a combination of the lighting and your kit). You could do with a much faster lens. Also they could all do with a bit more thought with regards to the composition. #5 is probably the best in terms of composition and subject but needs work on the black levels.

I'd have loved to have had a faster lens available. They are all shot on a Sony W300 compact, which may have lots of pixels but also lots of noise at ISOs over 200. I have tried a number of edits of #5 and when I can get differentiation of the black clothes against the black piano against the black backdrop I get loads of noise. Off to Room 101 for this set.

Did you use a compact for these?

Yes it is a compact which has its good moments but these weren't them.

Under the circumstances I think your little Sony did ok. The W300 is great when light is available, but was not given the best conditions really.... black on black with low light LOL. What they do detail very well though is that you obviously had a good time (y)

Under the circumstances I think your little Sony did ok. The W300 is great when light is available, but was not given the best conditions really.... black on black with low light LOL. What they do detail very well though is that you obviously had a good time (y)

Thanks for the comments. We did have a great time and the guy on the right of the last shot is the best conga player my GLW and I have ever seen. And we have seen a lot - Buena Vista Social Club, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Afro Cuban All Stars, Sierra Maestra and Roberto Fonseca quintet all have brilliant conga players but this guy edged it.

Back