Church. B+w or Colour? * Edit added *

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Could you guys please help me out as I can't decide which I like best. I have a weakness for b&w conversions when it comes to old buildings, but the colour emphasizes the shadows more.

All comments / criticism are welcome as always.

Llanbabo Church by alltaken2012, on Flickr

Llanbabo Church by alltaken2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :)

Adrian, I'll try it in sepia and see what it looks like.

I like both of these. The colour version stands well as it is, but I think some tweaking in PS could improve the B/W and bring out some detail in the shadows and give the image a bit of a sparkle.

Some great B/W effects can be achieved in NIK Silver EFex Pro 2. If you are not familiar with that software check it out.

B&W for me, the shadows seem more distracting in the colour version.

Again thanks for the comments and helpful advice. All taken aboard.

Good here innit. :D

You've captured this under such nice light I might say colour.

I'd say to make your B&W Pop, you need to be more dramatic with defintion, contrast and then look to add in a fuax ND filter to give it some real dark sky and drama

colour with some cropping to the sky ...this brings the lovely texture and tones of the wall and vegetation as your base to the church shot

Colour for me too - it's not dramatic enough to warrant B&W and looks washed out. Colours are nice though

Thank you everyone for all your comments. I think I'd be hard put to accommodate all the suggestions at once :D but it has been very instructive to see different perspectives of the picture and they are all appreciated. :)

I prefer the clout, it's such a nice day it's a shame to lose the warm tones. I agree the composition isn't really dramatic enough for B&WS, and also agree would benefit from adding a gradation to the sky.

Out of interest, could you, or any other kind member, tell me how you would go about composing the image if you knew beforehand that dramatic / moody B&W would be the end product please? I'm guessing that big, stormy looking clouds would help the skyline, but I'm not sure about the rest. Would a different angle, getting closer help? Perhaps inside the churchyard rather than from the road?

The oroginal B&W looks a bit 'bland' mainly due to the expanse of tarmace and flat sky.

I think your second versions add something but are a bit OTT - somewhere in the middle might be good!

Back