Beginner Church Portait tips,

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for taking your time to read this.

I've been asked to shoot my grandparents 50th anniversary vowel renewal. I have a few months to prepare for this. My experience is very little I'm just a hobbiest at best that enjoys a well taken photo. I'm not in any pressure here , they are just expecting a few nice shots to display . I am going to use this as a learning opportunity and put the knowledge I have obtained over the past year to the test. So basically I'm hoping that some of you can give me some tips , things to avoid ect. The venue is going to be in a small moderately lit church. My equipment consists of - Canon t3i&battery grip, Sigma 18-125mm lens, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 55-250, Canon 320 EX flash & Tripod. And a wireless remote so I can be part of the group photos ;) I am planning to get as much practice in as possible before then.

Cheers

Are you allowed to use flash in the church? Some churches don't allow it. If this is the case you would need a fast lens (the 50 1.8) and still need to up your ISO. Is the 50mm going to be to wide enough on a cropped sensor? How does the t3 handle higher ISO?

Get a nice day before the ceremony, and a few hours with just yourself and your grandparents for a couple of hours in a nice location (perhaps an assistant as well). Take them lunch somewhere with nice gardens.

Take your time and do a portrait shoot whilst they're relaxed - there's a risk they'll be tense on the day itself, you certainly will be. Take your flash, but also pack several reflectors - if the weather is nice you can make the most of natural light. The pressure is then off you (and them) on the day, and you've already got in the bag a few portrait shots to celebrate the renewal of their vows. You can then concentrate on getting candid shots that capture the spirit of the big day without the pressure of getting formal portraits or worrying that the weather will let you down on the day and you'll be pushed into having to do everything indoors in poor light.

I'm finding out this weekend if I can use a flash or not. I might be borrowing a second camera off a friend . So I can switch from my Sigma to my 50 and not lose any time.

Alastair , I might consider that as well. I will adequate time before and after the church also.

Thanks !!

be careful in the church of saying " it's low light I must use the lowest aperture possible, because if you are shooting a couple, esp from one side whilst they're taking their vows, then you will have one person in focus and one person out of focus.
Use the 50mm 1.8 because it's a great lens put pick the aperture to suit the situation. even at f/3.2 it will be faster than most of your other lenses.
bounce flash in a church isn't going to go well, so try a catchlight card (or make one for your flash out of a 6x4 printer card and an elastic band.
also if it's in the summer, look for nice spots to shoot.
think about where the sun will be at the time of day you'll be shooting and if you need some fill flash.

Last edited:
It's always good manners to ask the Vicar if you can take photographs before hand, they don't normally object. i have met quite a few who don't like pap style photography in church.

Back