Beginner Classic Car.

Hi Roy - if you're looking for crit then I'd say its a nicely focused shot - I'd have maybe waited a bit longer for the people in-shot to have left so you could have got the shot of the car on its own..

Also maybe have taken the shot from a little lower looking up so the top of the car wasn't so tight in the frame... hope that helps (y)

Many thanks for your comments,unfortunately that was taken 10 minutes before the show officially opened it got packed after that so no chance of taking any shots without someone in the shot and as for taking the shot lower down I find it very difficult getting lower with my two replacement Knees.lol but I try.

That's often the case with shows unfortunately - in fact I don't even take a camera to the NEC classic show because there just isn't going to be any opportunity to get a decent shot. And it's remarkable how few people will hesitate to walk in front of someone who's clearly trying to take a photo - so much so that it's a surprise when they notice and wait for me to finish.

If you have trouble getting a shot from lower down, you might practice with holding the camera at waist level - line the shot up normally, then carefully lower the camera body while trying to adjust the angle to keep the subject in shot. You'd probably need a fair bit of space around the subject to take into account getting the angle a bit wrong, but with practice it might be do-able. I remember watching pros at some event shooting by holding the camera body above their heads and just hoping they'd got the angle correct, but I think I also remember being able to buy 90° viewfinder adapters that also might help, if you can find one suitable for your camera.

Thank you,if it's not to busy or I'm in the field I can lie down.

Im disabled as well matey and would struggle with down to the ground shots - it might be worth looking into cameras with flip-screens if you think it'll help with certain elements of your photography (y)

:plus1: For flip screens for low level shooting! I don't have too much problem getting down low - it's the getting back up that's a struggle these days. All but impossible to get clear shots at car shows, especially of anything out of the ordinary. Waiting can sometimes get a result but it can take a while. A polite request for a few seconds to get a shot often works but if that fails, I usually go for detail shots rather than trying to get the whole car or bike in. Another problem when trying for a clean shot is the information sheet(s) in the windows.

I quite agree - in fact at the Pageant of Power recently I think I've probably got about three shots of stuff in the classic car club area, whereas on track it's easier to get a clear shot.

I always have an information sheet in the windscreen of my car - it's surprising how many people stop and read it. On our club display I think we've gone from pretty much just my car having a sheet, to virtually all of them having one. I hadn't thought of the problem it provides for getting a decent photo if people want to do that, but as it's on display I figure people might want to know more about it.

:plus1: For info sheets in the windows or on boards! Especially on rarities or where the rebuild/restoration/history is a bit out of the ordinary. These days I tend to take just a compact to shows and even then only really take snaps and record shots. I may make exceptions for the occasional rarity or for detail shots but in the main I don't really bother these days. Not because of the info boards, just that I already have shots of most of the local cars of interest and have owned a few or had similar in the family!

As already said, if you want people free shots your going to have to develop excellent patience skills ......... lol, its very frustrating at times but some patience usually rewards. I attend busy car shows and generally come away with some half decent pics.

Back