classifids

You need at least 25 posts before you can access the forum's classified section.

He has covered the posts but not the 60 days membership of the forums.

I wondered why I couldn't access the Classifieds. I'm not sure I'll get to 25 posts for months and months yet. I've only just started taking pictures so who the hell am I to critique others!! Except to say ooooh looks nice. That doesn't add anything, oh well I enjoy reading the critique of others :)

I wondered why I couldn't access the Classifieds. I'm not sure I'll get to 25 posts for months and months yet. I've only just started taking pictures so who the hell am I to critique others!! Except to say ooooh looks nice. That doesn't add anything, oh well I enjoy reading the critique of others :)

You don't have to critique other images!
Ask questions, join in discussions etc. Loads to do apart from giving critique. Even if you do give some, say what you like about the image, ask how they did it, what equipment they used etc, etc.
You will soon be an old hand, after all, the classifides are a perk for participating members only. (y)

i joined here to see if i can buy a lens from the site,bit harsh having to spam the forum for 25 posts then wait for 60 days to see who's selling what

i joined here to see if i can buy a lens from the site,bit harsh having to spam the forum for 25 posts then wait for 60 days to see who's selling what

No question why you joined the forum then!
If you you do spam the forum though, you could (will) find you have to wait longer than 60 days.
You could end up as STICKY Toffee.

No question why you joined the forum then!
If you you do spam the forum though, you could (will) find you have to wait longer than 60 days.
You could end up as STICKY Toffee.

I'm with you, as someone else said above, the classifieds are a perk of being a participating member.

I'm new to photography so been new not really much i can say on photos,i look and read and learn that way.If i didn't want to learn about things i wouldn't join a forum that specializes in a subject i want to learn

My other half is a member, he barely knows one end of a camera from the other, but that doesn't stop being able to say he likes or dislikes a picture and why. No need to 'know' anything, just give your honest opinion, politely, and ask questions, you will be amazed how quick that post count flies up (y)

...on the otherhand, you will understand that you are exactly the kind of person the rules are there to discourage. Classifieds are a perk for contributing members. You are welcome to join in and be one..... or you can spam and be gone....simple :)

anyone with eyes and a brain can critique a photo just follow the 3 simple steps

say what you like
say what you don't like
say why

If you don't know how something was done, ask and most of the time the OP (or another member) will tell you.

Dont however try to spam your way to 25 by cut and pasting "nice shot" 25 times - all that will get you is a ban from the classifieds.

So welcome and have fun

Edit : oops - sorry Yv , I think we posted at the same time

Last edited:

When I started on this forum, I hadn't a clue about all the technical stuff people were banging on about - especially the post processing side of things. You see, I'd just re-started shooting after a long layoff... long enough that my previous camera was a completely manual film slr. All the AV mode this, and AF that and Photoshop stuf might as well have been in Swahili.

But I lurked, and I asked questions, and I posted pictures for critique, and I listened and I learned. And - I felt guilty, because I couldn't put something back into the community. Then I spotted the POTY competition, and, well - if I didn't know digital cameras, then I sure as hell DID know a spreadsheet. So - I offered my services to produce a leaderboard for the competition. And I put something back into the community. I'd been a mamber here nearly 10 months and made over 1000 posts before I even realised that there WAS a classifieds section.

I guess all this waffle is saying "Get Involved, be A Member of the Community" and don't worry about any perceived benefits of the classifieds... Concentrate on learning to use your camera for a few months before splurging any more money.

Yv, Big Soft Moose, The Big Yin (great names :)
Thanks for the encouragement. I really don't have any money to be buying anything just now (after buying the camera!) ,, I was just commenting,, but I am enjoying my voyeurism for now and will try and get involved a bit more :)

To all that are new here welcome to TP :wave: I hope that your all going to enjoy your time here on TP (y) no better place to learn about and develop your photography, don't worry about the kit, go out and enjoy what you've got (y) and then post up some photo's for critique, of good critique you will soon learn more and improve your photography (y) I know that's how it worked for me :D

Matt
MWHCVT

My other half is a member, he barely knows one end of a camera from the other, but that doesn't stop being able to say he likes or dislikes a picture and why. No need to 'know' anything, just give your honest opinion, politely, and ask questions, you will be amazed how quick that post count flies up (y)

:)

bit harsh Yv ,:D anyway ,he's got a leica ,so :razz: ( alright i know it don't work but its a start )

Last edited:
Don't have a problem with the 60 days myself, I'm waiting on it at the moment! In truth it makes sense I've been on many forums where the classifieds are abused

As someone who has recently bought his first dslr camera and freely admits knowing next to nothing, I think its good news that I do not have access to the classifieds yet or else I could end up buying kit that I do not need, so im quite happy to save my pennies for a while yet until I get a better idea as to what kit I actually need and to post on the forums when I feel I have something worth saying or asking.

I like the fact there's a waiting period for new members to wait for access to classifides, but think it would make sense for viewing only access sooner, then a shorter period to purchase
As a recent convert to photography, and a misstrust of ebay, it would have been good to see what my next "target" was going for, especially after reading the topics on here raising my awareness of the required kit, and giving the new member 60 days to save up and buy from a member here instead of going off site for higher risk/ lower quality stuff.
Not a criticism, just a thought

I realise this would result in less jaffa cake time for the mods, so fully accept this system would be totally unrealistic :D

ps welcome to TP new guys (y)

trouble is if people can view you'll get people trading by pm

trouble is if people can view you'll get people trading by pm

Wot e said!
The same stuff is on ebay thats on here that will still give an idea of what to get next.
Just save up until you get access, you don't have to buy from ebay.

Sorry to join the party late but I think the 60 days is good, it gives users time to join the community & I think it instills an element of trust too.

Stick with it, it can be a veritable feast in there at times but in the grand scheme if things, nothing's that urgent you can't wait. I don't buy anything without checking here first.

Back