Answered Classifieds Is Now A Nightmare To Peruse

I agree - it is a mess and as a result some things can be missed. Once an item has been marked as sold, it should automatically be archived.

Unfortunately, people are lazy and they don't follow the rules. This means the mods have to do it for them . . .

I agree - it is a mess and as a result some things can be missed. Once an item has been marked as sold, it should automatically be archived.

Unfortunately, people are lazy and they don't follow the rules. This means the mods have to do it for them . . .

Yeah, it's a great shame and shows real disrespect by those who use the Classified's free of charge, save a fortune on eBay fees and all they're asked to do is mark items that are sold as "sold". Is that really so much to ask? Sign of the times that so many expect everything for nothing and delivered on a silver plate.

Last edited:
Easy answer IMO:

First offence - a warning.

Second offence - a month's ban from the Classified sections.

Third - ban them from the whole forum.

Harsh? Maybe, but I bet it'll work.

Once an item has been marked as sold, it should automatically be archived.
I completely agree with all the other comments.
Unfortunately once in archive no feed back can be left on either side.
Hence the auto archive After 10, I think it is days with no comments,
to give people a chance.
Unfortunately this auto system seems to fail occasionally.
I think it may need a re-map.

Last edited:
I completely agree with all the other comments.
Hence the auto archive After 10, I think it is days with no comments,
to give people a chance.
Unfortunately this auto system seems to fail occasionally.
I think it may need a re-map.

The archive time isn't really the problem. If threads are simply marked as "sold" then they can be filtered by anyone searching so problem is solved. Eventually they'll be archived by the system. The problem is that today I think 7 out of the 10 threads I opened were items already sold. That wastes our time and makes a search extremely tedious and ultimately fruitless as one eventually stops the search after losing the will to live. :oops: :$

That wastes our time and makes a search extremely tedious and ultimately fruitless as one eventually stops the search after losing the will to live. :oops: :$
I completely agree with that, but I don't know what the answer is save a mod going through every single classifieds thread and marking them sold.
Have you seen how many adverts there are?
it would take far too long to do that unfortunately.

It was a few years ago now when I was admin/mod on a XenForo system, but I got round this previously by just enabling it in the feedback options. Obviously, this was a few versions ago so it may no longer be possible. It wasn't in the moderator options to adjust this though, it needed admin access.

It was a few years ago now when I was admin/mod on a XenForo system, but I got round this previously by just enabling it in the feedback options.
That's not a bad idea TBH, I'm not sure if it is possible, if it is its admin only
@Marcel ?

Reactions: Sky
We used to have to approve every advert and watch them closely. The macros helped with the repetitive typing/instructions, but it was still a PITA.

Apart from this little niggle, the sales sections on here seem to run very well. I hope you don't have the 'behind the scenes' grief with them that we used to?

I hope you don't have the 'behind the scenes' grief with them that we used to?
Occasionally, but its not too bad these days (y)

Reactions: Sky
I completely agree with that, but I don't know what the answer is save a mod going through every single classifieds thread and marking them sold.
Have you seen how many adverts there are?
it would take far too long to do that unfortunately.

No, that shouldn't be the job of mods, that's not fair. I think maybe a sticky in each forum reminding people of their obligations when using the free classifieds area and if people cannot mark a thread "sold" within 48 hours of payment being made then they lose their classifieds privilege for a month. Or something like that..

No, that shouldn't be the job of mods, that's not fair.
....and if people cannot mark a thread "sold" within 48 hours of payment being made then they lose their classifieds privilege for a month. Or something like that..
But it still needs to be policed and checked, otherwise its an empty threat unfortunately

I certainly appreciate the work you chaps do - a thankless task that very few appreciate. (y)
Thanks Trevor, that is appreciated also (y)

Rest of the main for sale and wanteds now cleared down as well - we should be down to stuff from around sept/oct 2020 onwards in there now. Anything older than that which was still active, well, frankly you can re-advertise it...

I'll be honest, moving hundreds of posts like that, I didn't open and read them - I simply bloc-moved anything with a last accessed date in 2019 or the first three quarters of 2020 to archive.

Back