Clean Young Mess @ The Toff. (7 shots)

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
I've been far too busy with other things lately to get to many gigs, so I was glad of the chance to do this.

Clean Young Mess is a monthly(ish) event at the Toff in the Town in Melbourne CBD. It brings together local indie bands, and some from further afield, in what is one of the smallest band rooms and stages I've ever been to. All in all a good night with some varied talent on show.

I was called in at the 11th hour as the regular tog was on his hols. Hopefully I did an alright job that may, fingers crossed, lead to some publication in a couple of culture / music papers.

TP-5799.jpg

TP-5819.jpg

TP-6043.jpg

TP-5977.jpg

TP-5939.jpg

TP-5936.jpg

TP-6067.jpg

TFL,

Jamie.

the last is my favourite, but it looks like you've really caught the essence of the event, well done(y)

no 7 is excellent, not too keen on the blurry ones, but a good set(y)

Love 1, 5 and 7. Having done some of this live band stuff myself i know how hard it is to
get any useable images (the changing lighting is a nightmare)

The blurry ones aren't my thing but work well :)

i like 6-almost like i'm there,lol

I love these photos. These are the types of images I try to acheive when photographing bands, but just never get.

I'd be interested to know what camera/lenses you used for these and what sort of editing you did to them.

1 - great pic - really captures the energy
4 - Thats a nice guitar "gurn" from a tricky angle (unless he is lying backwards) Like it a lot
6 - Again a good "gurn", really captures the moment.

Keep up the good work.

B.

Playing catch up round here I am.. :D

Very nice, although I think your colour stuff is much stronger, especially the last one. :) But then I find digital (I assume it was :thinking:) b&w a tricky thing to get looking just right. Like the good old fashioned stuff that is. ;)

Thanks very much for the comments everyone.

Stellarbeam -

The EXIF should be in place on all of them, so you can have a look if you get hold of one of the free EXIF-reader programmes. I used a Canon 400D and the trusty nifty fifty.

Processing was just Lightroom, most had very little done to them, just a sharpen and maybe a quick clone of distracting bits and pieces that weren't hidden completely in the blackness.

#1 being the obvious exception, the main effect here came from dropping the saturation, then boosting the vibrance and clarity (local contrast).

#3 has a strong contrast curve on it, in the highlights and shadows anyway, and some toning to add a bit of different colour (reddish).

Irritable_Rabbit - I know what you mean about the B&W, I love it, especially for people shots, but I can't settle on decent way to process it yet. I shot some T-max 3200 the other week at a gig, really looking forward to getting some time in the darkroom to develop it.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Back