Climbing in the Alps

S

Steve

Here are some pictures taken while we were out climbing in the Alps this week. Our aim was to reach the summit by dinner time but as it is just over 2200m high it took just a while longer.

This is the first view looking back after about 2 hours steep walking. Shot with the 70-200L and 1.4x converter.

IMG_4560_01.jpg

A wider view from a little higher up. Shot with the 17-40L this time.

IMG_4561_01.jpg

A nice layer shot looking across the Alps in the direction of Switzerland. You can still clearly see the haze in this shot. As we climbed higher we rose above it into the clear air.

IMG_4562_01.jpg

Looking back with some foreground interest and to remind me in the years to come of how tired I was by this point. If I had know how much more lay ahead I would have called it a day here and gone home a happy chappy.

IMG_4566_01.jpg

This was our goal, the small cross on the top of the mountain…the only problem left was the vertical climb up the last section of rock face that the Mrs had declined to tell me about. Being scared of heights I hated every second of the last assent. :(

IMG_4572_01.jpg

Once at the top we were treated to spectacular views in every direction…

IMG_4575_01.jpg

IMG_4584_01.jpg

All that was left after that was the 5 hour climb/walk down, the 5km hitchhike then the 2.5 hours drive back to Munich to drop of the hire car and then the 20min train ride back home. A day that lasted from 4.30 in the morning until almost midnight with only about an hour total inactivity all day.

Hope you like the photos :)

Lovely stuff Steve!:icon_cool

I think with your leaning towards landscapes , you're living in the right place.:)

Fantastic shots, Some really nice views. I suppose it makes all that hard work climbing worthwhile although I don't like the look of that last bit at all. Scary!!!

someone somewhere said no talent should go unpunished ................ I guess steve's legs will be shafted after the climb up (& down) so I don't need to hunt him down and smack him round his (very talented) head with a bit of wood.

P.S. Love the shots

He's bald (or doing a fine job of getting there). That's comeuppence enough for now I think.

Stunning scenery there.
Sure beats Owd Betts doesnt it? :D

Steve said:
All that was left after that was the 5 hour climb/walk down, the 5km hitchhike then the 2.5 hours drive back to Munich to drop of the hire car and then the 20min train ride back home. A day that lasted from 4.30 in the morning until almost midnight with only about an hour total inactivity all day.

Now that's what I call a day out :shock:

Absolutely stunning shots of the day... you must be well chuffed :thumb:

Marcel said:
He's bald (or doing a fine job of getting there). That's comeuppence enough for now I think.

Excellent quip there young sir! He's got no come back to that! ;)

that first one for me is the pick of the bunch, I love that compressed perspective look. :icon_cool

I like the last one best. A good example of when a vertical landscape shot is imperative.

Back