Beginner Clipping - Help and Advice Please

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
These pictures were taken on a bright but cloudy daybird_1.jpgrobin_1.jpg with ISO 2000+ to keep shutter speed above 1/1000 however LR shows 'clipping' what settings should I use to improve pictures... thanks

deer_1.jpgdeer_2.jpg

If you're getting clipping it's one of two things. Bright areas or dark areas. Simply raise or lower your iso to compensate.

Obviously you could also adjust aperture and/or shutter speed, but it looks like they are fairly suitable for what you've shot.

I wouldn’t worry about small areas of clipping either dark or bright. The top two images probably had shadow clipping in the darker patches of the background.. who cares as long as the main subject is properly exposed.

The first deer picture will be clipping on the highlighted fir on its neck/chest and possibly in the dark area of it’s ear.. again, who cares, the detail is still there.

The “perfect” exposure isn’t always necessarily the “right” exposure.

Last edited:
Shooting at high ISO will give you much less dynamic range than your base ISO. You may want to consider going for a lower shutter speed giving you less noise, better dynamic range and less chance of clipping.

Although as mentioned above I don't think clipping is an issue.

As most of above regarding clipping. Check the histogram on the back of the camera, it will show if any black or white clipping is occurring.
Regarding Lightroom it may not be the whole truth, it will indicate clipping areas with indicators (Red or Blue); but it will have preprocessed your image somewhat.
Under Calibration tab in LR, at the bottom of the adjustment side panel, you will "process" try selecting process 2 from the drop-down and you may notice a difference in both appearance and histogram.

Personally I use the Exposure compensation dial on my Sony bodies - simple enough :)

Les

I use the EV button on my Nikon to bring down the 'brightness' if I am losing the whites.

Back