Close Encounter...

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
One from the Southend airshow today. The weather was frankly dire. Stayed very grey and murky all day - and because of the wind that was blowing the drizzle along nicely it was difficult to avoid getting rain spots on the lens. Didn't look likely early on that the Red Arrows were going to get to do their display - they were due at 3pm and an hour before the cloud was terribly low. However at about 2.30pm the cloud lifted and the rain pretty much stopped and the organisers seized their chance and the Reds came in early (EARLY?! Pah, you'd never get unpunctuality like that from the Army eh Rob?!) Theoretically they were only going to do their flat (Bad weather) display, but after a steady start to ease themselves into the conditions I have to say there weren't many moves different to the regular display that I spotted!

Here's one anyway - there may be more to follow when I've processed my way through them.

0240Redsclosepass.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Dear lord that looks close.
Although with the Red Arrows, it was probably preplanned and perfectly executed.

Theyre always a pleasure to watch IMO.,

You actually got a break in the rain down there!! I don't think it has stopped once here all day!! There wasn't much flying due to the bad weather was there?

That's a good shot though :)

They're brilliant aren't they - I'll always happily go out of my way to see them display.

We didn't do too badly for displays yesterday in the end - the Sea King and Air Ambulance helicopters aren't generally affected too much and both did their stuff, and whilst thinking on the helicopter lines so did the RN Black Cats. We also saw a Hunter, Tutor, Sukhoi (Piloted by a nutty bloke who seems to enjoy making himself dizzy!) and a display team called The Blades who I've seen once before and are good value - felt rather sorry for them having to follow on almost immediately after the Reds though! Finished off with the Typhoon which seems to have an incredibly busy year this year. Only lost a couple through weather in the end I think - although there were some more limited displays than were hoped I think.

Stunning shot, brilliantly caught!

Cheers John! Must be said after yesterday I'm hankering for a 1DmkIIn even more. I usually feel that 5fps is plenty, that is until I'm trying to get something like the Arrows on a close pass! Misjudged the timing first time and managed to fill the buffer before they crossed....can't complain too much though - as ever the 30D far out performs its advertised burst length.

Reverted to my trick of spot metering for them yesterday by the way. Seems to work for me - presumably because the planes themselves are effectively a mid-tone?

Back