Close...no, closer!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got round to having a play with my ebay cheapo lens reversing ring and shutter cable on the tripod.
This is erm...a leaf (must get out and pick some autumn ones before they turn into mush!)

IMG_8356.jpg

Another from the same session using the reversing ring, the lens was about 1.5 inches from the subject:

IMG_8347.jpg

As you have probably discovered you can get some pretty high magnifications but the dof is a hairs breadth.

I more or less gave up on reversing for that reason. Spacer tubes with a zoom lens are a real alternative though - with the added advantage you can use the zoom action for focusing.

RobertP said:
As you have probably discovered you can get some pretty high magnifications but the dof is a hairs breadth.

I more or less gave up on reversing for that reason. Spacer tubes with a zoom lens are a real alternative though - with the added advantage you can use the zoom action for focusing.

Oh boy, yes I did!
Extension tubes are next on the wishlist.

very good steve, i got some extension tubes off ebay, they dont carry the signal so its all manual, and the DOF is approx the size of a flies pupic hair, but the thing is, you can SEE the flies pubic hair.....

EosD said:
very good steve, i got some extension tubes off ebay, they dont carry the signal so its all manual, and the DOF is approx the size of a flies pupic hair, but the thing is, you can SEE the flies pubic hair.....

You can improve the dof considerably by using the lens at f8 or f11 instead of wide open.

Fit the lens as normal to the camera - press dof preview button with aperture set as desired and remove the lens with the button still pressed - lens stays with iris at f8 or whatever. Now mount it on the tubes.

RobertP said:
and remove the lens with the button still pressed

Ah, so thats how you do it!
I was letting go of the button.

Cheers for that :thumb:

top tip Robert, thanks!

Great shots Bachs.

I use a set of Kenko extention tubes that carry all the relevant signals from the camera to the lens, they work well and have opened up a whole new area of photography to me. They can be bought brand new from Ebay for very little money, it may be worth looking there first.

Back