Close up filters on MF

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been thinking about getting some 67mm close up lenses but wondered if they're too poor a quality for MF. I know these things are fairly cheap and nasty but are they a total waste of money?

Not sure not used them myself, on the Bronica, but if I was going that route then I would get the most expensive ones I could and experiment.

Did a couple of years ago on 35mm stuff and they worked ok.

Bronica did two extension tubes S-18 and S-36 plus Auto Bellows. When new they were VERY expensive.

If you are after these kind of kit then they are rare and you will have to wait. On fleabay the tube can go for anything from £50 to £110, the bellows from £150 upwards.

Sometimes they turn up in shops but again it is a case of searching.

Don't know what MF kit you have but my gut reaction which is supported by third party comments for someone who was big into close up work is that screw in close up filters are not really up to snuff where MF is concerned.

Try them by all means and report back but prepare to be underwhelmed.

Trouble is there is that lovely big negative with that lovely glassware and you are going to be putting something a lot less lovely in front of it!

I bought a set of Opton screw on close-up lenses for a tenner on ebay,
thinking that if they weren't any good then i hadn't wasted to much,

anyway, there was a x4 and a x10 in the set, here is an example with the x10 on a 18-55 on a 400d in auto focus and hand held,
not film i know, but i thought i'd let you know my experience with these lenses

suffice to say, although they aren't brilliant they aren't bad either.

2569823653_76763e7951.jpg

Original size on my flickr page here: Link

cheers

I've been thinking about getting some 67mm close up lenses but wondered if they're too poor a quality for MF. I know these things are fairly cheap and nasty but are they a total waste of money?

For what camera ?
What do you want to shoot ?

I mean, generally speaking, close up lenses are a last resort/the only thing available.
My rangefinder has a few close-up lenses available, but that's only because there isn't a lens capable of close focus.
There are loads of options for you're average M/F SLR...depends what it is.

I've got an SQ-A. There's nothing in particular I want to shoot at the minute it's just I have a set for my DSLR and they come in handy now and again. I just wondered if they would be even worse on MF than they are on a DSLR. Not that they're bad for the price bot they're not exactly the bees knees either.

Well you can try em for nowt, you should get half an idea what the results are likely to be from the image on the focussing screen, that's if it does focus :shrug:

Unfortunately my DSLR ones are 55mm and the SQ-A will need 67mm. I think I'll forget about it for now and perhaps look at some extension tubes if I think of anything that warrants them.

Back