Close up flash lighting options

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Since returning to the hobby a few months back I have developed an interest in photographing items close up - mainly insects, spiders etc additionally I have started experimenting with water droplet photos as well.

My camera is a Canon 550D, and I am wondering if I would find it beneficial to purchase some form of ringlight.

As I am only a beginner / casual photographer I dont think I could justify the cost of an expensive setup, so would appreciate comments on the other options available to me.

One item I saw was a JY-670 Macro Close-Up O Ring LED Flash Gun Light, is something like this an affordable option or a waste of money.

Thanks in hope.

That, or a similar sort of thing will be ok but if you're just starting off with macro you might be better off saving a little more and looking for a E-TTL ring flash instead. There are a few about, ones from Marumi and Opteka as well as other makes, that are pretty good but I've just got a Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash and the difference in quality is amazing.

I still have an old ring flash that works pretty well, but it doesn't fire every time as I think the wire may have been twisted. If you're prepared to pay for the postage I'll let you have it until you can afford a better one. PM me if you're interested.

Back