Close up lit by torchlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Not macro- shot with a 18-55mm kit lens - illumination provided by a small hand held torch- I think these images fit into the close up section

May well do a macro shot using this technique :puke:

Long exposure small aperture and a Torch lol

F22 x15 secs

HipFlaskEXIF.jpg

F22 x10 secs

TorchlitFlask2EXIF.jpg

Les (y)

Les
I like these, like them a lot actually, bit of creativity with the torch and the subdued light it creates, Well done (y)

like these alot. sorta gives the an antique sorta feel to them. Well i think it does. lighting works really well!

Thanks guys- I was thinking about using coloured gel to give different colours

watch this space ;)

Les :D

Technique used

One completeley dark room- turn on the lights and - set camera on manual F22 at 10- 15 or even 20 secs- mount onto a tripod- focus onto subject, lock, turn off the room lights, fire the shutter, during the long exposure move the torch around any area you wish to illuminate ( 5 or 6 secs is best I find) a dark BG is useful too

adjust effect by longer torching ( if thats a word)

Have a go its great fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres another attempt- just need to practise to refine the technique - I pointed the torch directly into the glass for this one

HipFlask2EXIF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Les, like how you are becoming more creative now, nice lighting on them all, my favs the last one with the coloured drink, for me the only thing I would change in all the shots is the ammount of room at the bottom of each shot they are just a little to tight for me, but good stuff, look forward to seeing more (y)

Thank you Dave- I have taken on board your suggestion (y) - will do some more today

i like the texture of number 1 and the 2 tone drink looks mad but looks too close to the flask , just my thought tho. dave

i like the texture of number 1 and the 2 tone drink looks mad but looks too close to the flask , just my thought tho. dave

Limited space on my kitchen table to be honest- I thank you for your comments ;)

Les (y)

Nice, I'm guessing the drink in the glass can make a good light diffuser?

I think first one is the best of all three. Some more lightning on third one's glass would make picture to stand out...I think.

Nice, I'm guessing the drink in the glass can make a good light diffuser?

Yes that was my plan, as said- these are inital shots and do need work- different torch - coloured gels the list is endless

I presented these as an on going project and maybe give you guys sone idea's for wet rainy days (y)

Perhaps the images with the glass would look better if it were possible to use a whisky glass with whisky in it rather than a high ball style glass? I think having the correct style of glass would make the second image.

Perhaps the images with the glass would look better if it were possible to use a whisky glass with whisky in it rather than a high ball style glass? I think having the correct style of glass would make the second image.

I agree- I'll give that a go

Les (y)

Yes that was my plan, as said- these are inital shots and do need work- different torch - coloured gels the list is endless

I presented these as an on going project and maybe give you guys sone idea's for wet rainy days (y)

You can never have too much inspiration. ;) I have always found the light from LED torches to be rather harsh so I have tried using various things try an act as diffusion, including thins like bottle caps, grease proof paper, tissue, etc. but never a drink.

I'll have to try various coloured drinks when I can, I think a pint of cloudy cider would work well. :)

I have such a thing in my Fridge- for dinking though not Photography :LOL:

I need all the inspiration I can get lol

Les (y)

Wow, these are excellent. Especially the first. I think it is the reflective surface of the hip flask that lends itself well to the technique. I may have a go using this technique myself.

Wow, these are excellent. Especially the first. I think it is the reflective surface of the hip flask that lends itself well to the technique. I may have a go using this technique myself.

Make sure the room you use to do this - Is dark and I do mean dark :nuts:

Les :D:D

Back