Cloud Bank...

Edit My Images
No
cloudylighthouse800bwdf7.jpg

Captures in RAW, worked in Tiff and 'Saved for Web'...

love it DW love it, one of my favourite subjects cloud formations, also like the mono effect too.

love it DW love it, one of my favourite subjects cloud formations, also like the mono effect too.

ND gradient for the clouds and just a little Yellow photo filter makes all the difference...Really brings out the tone...

applied via camera, or other means?

That's is really good and works brilliant in Mono. Great shot.

Excellent, very impressive.

The clouds are great, but I feel that they take the focus away from the excellent landscape. I think the two should be working together.

Really like it, can you talk me through the post processing?

I am not very good at explaining but here it goes anyway...

After opening the colour image I immediately desaturated (Image|Adjustments|Desaturate) it, then Image|Adjustments|Channel Mixer where I selected the Monochrome radio button where there were a few minor tweaks nothing to write home about and mainly in the red channel.

After which it was off to image|Adjustments|Shadow/Highlight and where I dropped the shadow a little and small increase in Highlight. I had to select some parts of rocks for a little individual treatment with Shadow/Highlights as they were to dark to work with the general adjustments of the image...hope this makes sense.

Next was the introduction of a neutral density gradient by creating a new adjustment layer and then gradient fill, however before you do this make sure that your fore and background is set at the default black and white, you will then be presented with a rather strong black gradient (Dont Worry) and the wrong way around to so select the 'reverse' radio button in the bottom left of the gradient fill dialogue box. Then click once on the gradient box and select foreground to transparent (second from the left, top row), at this point you can also alter the parameter of the gradient within this same dialogue box...other wise select ok and ok again. You are still left with the very dark gradient so set the blending mode to overlay where you can then alter the opacity to your individual choice.

Now as far as black and white is concerned, I nearly always add (as in this case) a yellow photo filter from the create new adjustment layer, you can easily alter the density with the offered dialogue box...

Well I think thats is it roughly...I am sorry as I am not very good at putting my actions down in print, so I hope this all makes sense...

All the best,

Andrew

Hi andrew,
I've had a play around with the file you sent me, thanks very much. The gradient map is something I've never used before. I googled it and have a read through a couple of tutorials but I'm being a bit thick. I can see how it improves your photo but can't get my head around what it does. How would you explain it to a man of little brains?

Back