Beginner Club Photography - Equipment?

Edit My Images
Yes
Been asked by some friends to take some photos at a club/rave event they're having and it's a genre of photography I've never done before so would be happy to go along and try it out but I'm wondering about equipment.

Would a 70D and F1.4 50mm ART cut it in those conditions? That's the fastest lens I have but not sure if the Tamron F2.8 17-50mm would suit it better with the wider angle? Thoughts?

Been asked by some friends to take some photos at a club/rave event they're having and it's a genre of photography I've never done before so would be happy to go along and try it out but I'm wondering about equipment.

Would a 70D and F1.4 50mm ART cut it in those conditions? That's the fastest lens I have but not sure if the Tamron F2.8 17-50mm would suit it better with the wider angle? Thoughts?
If you're trying to capture that "night club" look, i.e. blurry trailed lights with a flash on 2nd curtain, then you'll be shooting at F2.8 or maybe even higher anyway as you'll be dragged the shutter out for a second or possibly more (depending on how much effect you want in your photographs).

If you used F1.4 and tried dragging the shutter, you'll find all your images will be overexposed IF you're doing this blurry-trailed light effect.

You'll need to use a flash, the F1.4 is good, but not that good if you're in a nightclub situation (almost pitch black dark) and want the people properly exposed.

This is a great tutorial:
http://www.photographerinessex.com/blog/a-guide-to-nightclub-photography/

I think it might be a good idea to use your zoom lens as you might not always have enough space to setup with the 50mm. This is based on my experience trying it out once.

Definitely the Tammy 17-50mm zoom.

I think you will find the 50mm just too much of a constraint.

Back