Coastline in the Twilight

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Just two here - comments and crits not only welcome but requested!

I don't get much feedback on my photos, I'm here to learn so please feel free (y)

#1 Reflections in pink

#2 Slow seafront

What do you reakon to the exposure and composition?

Thanks for looking
-Rob

Last edited:
I much prefer the composition of the second one, the light reflection leads your eye in and then the slope of the building draws it across the image. Nice.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback (y)

I really like the second, but not so much the first and I can't quite work out why! I think it bothers me a little that the big rock think in the foreground is the same colour as everything else...... Maybe compositionally it would work better if it was off to one side, as it's not quite in the middle either? I don't know, something about it just doesn't seem quite right!

The second is awesome (y)

Chris

Thanks guys, no filters used for these shots,

The first one doesn't seem quite right to me either which is as shame as there are some lovely colours there.

The second one was a bracketed exposure of 9 shots - I only used the first 6 or 7 skipping the two most overexposed. I applied two levels of high-pass + USM, one blended to hard light on the hills and one blended to soft light on the buildings. Shot at F/9.0 on my lurvely D300 :)

No. 2 is superb, the buildings lead you in nicely, then the hill stops you from leaving the shot.

I find it really hard to spot compositional elements for this type of shot - I really appreciate all the positive feedback - if someone fancies putting their finger on something that could be done to improve #1 I'd appreciate that too ;)

i dont think there is anything especialy wrong with #1, it's a nice photo, like you said, lovely colours, but it just doesn't hold my attention like #2...just lacking in something, a focal point or something. The lack of distinction between sky and water in #1 is also an issue for me..i don't know why.

[S4]Thanks![/S4]

I think it may be a combination of small factors that are watering down the appeal of #1 - I might take a look at cropping that or having a play in some other way tomorrow (y)

Back