Cockpit shot - (image added) C+C greatly appreciated

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I took this in the hanger during a down day a week or so ago and have been tinkering with it since. Quite a bit of Photoshop has happened around it and I'd be keen for any constructive criticism.

FighterJetCockpit3888x2571.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Cheesy

Last edited:
Looks like something from Flight Sim! I like it, not so surreal that it looks fake but enough to grab your eye. Did you illuminate the cockpit with flash?

I like that Cheesy! It has a sort of animated look to it. If anything, I'd love to see a big version of it so we can see more detail. Thats out of your control on here though.
This is where the 1200 x would come in handy. :D

Kev.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Steffan, yes the original was illuminated by the 580 EXII as you can see below:

31March201014Hanger9.jpg

Phillip, that is an excellent question that uncovers a serious flaw with the image. There are in fact 3 ASIs (speedos), the one in the HUD reads 350 kts, the one on the HDFD (the standby attitude display just above the stick) reads 348 kts and the analogue ASI (immediatley to the left of the HDFD) reads 0 kts - because the shot was taken on the ground with all power off! There is also an 11000 ft spread in heigh across the 3 altimeters too. I built the HUD, HDFD, Multifuntion displays, engine managment panel and a couple of other little bits in Photoshop.

Kev, If I have your email I'll send you a larger copy for your amusement sometime this weekend.

Cheesy

Last edited:
I have more knobs and dials in the PA28 and 172s that I fly, and I don’t have 2 tellies either........ call that cockpit??????

Seriously though, this is a great shot. Knowing the difficulties in getting a decent photo in these surroundings isn’t that easy at all. Well gone, great job.

Last edited:
Like it a lot, love your photoshop work, Your image gives me the impression that your pointing towards the sky yet your artificial horizon says your nearly level, but i could be wrong :) Very good work anyway.

What aircraft is that ?

I think I know what it's not...

Tornado - doesn't have a one piece front canopy
Typhoon - doesn't have a square HUD, and there are analogue instruments - pretty sure they're 100% digital
Hawk - looks too new to be a Hawk
Harrier - again, too high tech

It's not American, is it ???

Daniel.

EDIT - just seen the second pic and looks like a black Hawk in the background to the left.

Baffled

Last edited:
What aircraft is that ?

I think I know what it's not...

Tornado - doesn't have a one piece front canopy
Typhoon - doesn't have a square HUD, and there are analogue instruments - pretty sure they're 100% digital
Hawk - looks too new to be a Hawk
Harrier - again, too high tech

It's not American, is it ???

Daniel.

Daniel,

It is in fact the new Hawk TMk2. The re-made MFDs (there are actually 3 Ian, but I didn't work on the 3rd behind the stick) are reasonably representative of some of the many (almost 100) that we can display. Have a look at my Flickr for a lot more shots of it including a shot taken in our cockpit trainer that shows a wider view of the cockpit switches and controls.

Cheesy

Last edited:
Daniel,

It is in fact the new Hawk TMk2. The re-made MFDs (there are actually 3 Ian, but I didn't work on the 3rd behind the stick) are reasonably representative of some of the many (almost 100) that we can display. Have a look at my Flickr for a lot more shots of it including a shot taken in our cockpit trainer that shows a wider view of the cockpit switches and controls.

Cheesy

LOL - lots of post editing going on here :LOL:

Yep - spotted the Hawk in your second shot. Wow - didn't realise the trainers were so high tech, I really wish I wasn't colour blind :crying: all I ever wanted to do was fly :bang: I would eat my own shorts (no mean feat) for the opportunity...

Fantastic edit. It would make for a great educational piece. The flash has noticeably darkened areas of the image though. Have you tried placing the flash on the seat firing it up at 45 degrees? This would illuminate the undersides. Alternatively, if possible, place the camera on a tripod for a longer exposure or if you want to get really technical and post processing happy use the flash in various positions and blend the results later on? Would be interesting to see how that would come out.

I have been waiting a while to see the interior of the TMk2. Quite a step forward compared to the TMk1.

Out of interest, whats the chance of the Harvard taking over the Tucano's role?

Fantastic edit. It would make for a great educational piece. The flash has noticeably darkened areas of the image though. Have you tried placing the flash on the seat firing it up at 45 degrees? This would illuminate the undersides.

Great suggestion to get a complete cockpit image. This is however a reasonable representation of the shadows that can be cast in the cockpit on a sunny day. The area above the left and right MFDs is particularly susceptible which is probably why the displays are all internally lit.

This shot was taken in an aircraft that had the seats removed for servicing, with the seats in I doubt I could have got this shot at 17 mm on a crop sensor Eos 40D, but it does give a good inication of the cockpit view when strapped in.

Another shot looking at a representative cockpit is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43024879@N08/4543695182/in/set-72157623786539507/

As to the T6 replacing the Tucano - not sure, I flew the T6 last year and its not a bad little aircraft. Photos of which were posted here and can be seen on my Flickr.

Enjoy,

Cheesy

Last edited:
Great suggestion to get a complete cockpit image. This is however a reasonable representation of the shadows that can be cast in the cockpit on a sunny day. The area above the left and right MFDs is particularly susceptible which is probably why the displays are all internally lit.

Thinking about what I wrote I think what I was trying to say is that you could simulate the position of the sun by varying the output strength of the flash in a multi-shot composite. Perhaps it would allow for lighter shadows. Although you make a good point.

The cockpit is like the T45C Goshawk, or similar anyway. They just finished punching out the entire production line a while back. All the A variants are undergoing a modernization program now.

See a few T6's over here out of Moose Jaw. Neat little things. What do you make of the Pilatus PC21? Any experience?

See a few T6's over here out of Moose Jaw. Neat little things. What do you make of the Pilatus PC21? Any experience?

I sat in the PC 21 prototype at RIAT last year. A very nice piece of kit indeed. To get the jet like performance out of a turboprop has meant that Pilatus have gone for some innovative design solutions!

Awesome bit of PP there...but why did you clone out the clock? :LOL:

The clock actually folds down into the left hand glare shield, and if I'm honest I only start the stopwatch at bakes release and stop it when I'm under control on the runway. I thought it was an unnecessary distraction in the canopy so I got rid of it!

I'm going to play with the image a bit more today and make the HDFD and HUD information tie up. I'll post the results later.

Cheesy

moreeeee, moreeeee :) excellent shots cheesy

Fox3.jpg

I've tinkered with this one more than you might think, the altimeters now almost all agree, the HDFD is at a better attitude and a few of the gauges have been moved from their no power 'parked' position to a representative position.

C+C as ever,

Cheesy

Last edited:
i like this photo looks good mate :)

brilliant, love it. by the way what plane is it that is about to get blown up? :)

Disappointingly its just two triangles, with a 1-2 pixel Gaussian blur applied!

Cheesy

and here was me hoping for a true story about Mig 29`s entering our air space and bein blown up top gun style.... :(

Back