Coffee, what coffee?

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
Help,

Need help urgently please, I have ordered (one way or another) all the bits needed to make my Caffenol Developer except for the important bit, the coffee.

Can anyone please advise me what the best type of instant coffee is best, I am looking at buying Tesco's Own Original 300g for £2.69, will this do?

It'll do, but go cheaper if you can! Asda smart price at 47p for 100g is about as good as it gets value wise. It does smell vile though (and tastes it too!)

It'll do, but go cheaper if you can! Asda smart price at 47p for 100g is about as good as it gets value wise. It does smell vile though (and tastes it too!)

It will cost me more in fuel to go to Asda, so as long as this is okay (for Dev only) I will get that (the only instant I drink is Nescaffe Gold Blend).(y)

Sorry, forgot to thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Ed I use sainsburys own brand, its what I drink as instant(not that often) but I'm sure the tesco's will do.
As a side I use DP soda crystals again from sainsburys @ 90p a Kg and Holland & Barret vit c powder. I have had great results from this mix, I don't use any salt whatsoever in my mix.
Excellent acutance and very little grain dependent on the film in 5x4 sizes. With MF films this is a test of Acros 100 deved in caffenol
6842674371_7fee3ea00d_z.jpg
[/url] 645 Acros 100 by Marvin d martian100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mart

Thanks Mart,

As I said on the other thread, sodium carbonate (anhydrous) Soda ash is widely used in the Water Treatment Industry and I am collecting a 25kg bag tomorrow from one of my works (costs us circa £4/25kg), the Vit C & KBr I have ordered from ebay this time, will research other places in the future.

I am planning on trying the Caffenol-C-L as a stand process first. I'm realy looking forward to it. Funny what little things excite us. :banana:

Coffee, who'd have thought it. :nuts:

No problem Ed. One word of warning, when its all mixed together is smells like the back end off hell :puke: not pleasant at all.

Mart

The smell when the coffee goes into the soda is indeed pretty wiffy, It's like a super concentrated form of those horrible sweets that taste like soap! If you use the smart price stuff it gets worse yet again, but developing power was thankfully unaffected from the change. (I was origianlly using Nescafe!)

Be sure to know exactly what level of hydration you have in your soda - when it's all mixed a PH indicator should show around 9.5-10, any lower and you haven't got enough soda.

C-L is bordering on inactive, so needs very accurate measuring, hence I stick with CH, now diluted 1:1.

I actually mix from a salt solution rather than have to try and measure 0.25g every session!

Apparently, the cheaper the better with the coffee. There's more of the vital ingredient in the robusta beans than the posher arabica stuff. Mine came from Aldi and isn't a treat as a drink. Works, though - see my thread in the Photos from Film section.

Yep, in my experience the cheaper the better. Also, the cheaper the coffee is, the less risk there is of you (or someone else) drinking it and diminishing your supply :p

Back