coins & jewellry

• Thread starter johnny diamond
  • Start date
J

johnny diamond

soon be getting my nikon d90, and will then be on the hunt for a good lens and lighting arrangement,as the title suggests coins and jewels to start with!
any advise would be greatly appreciated;)

soon be getting my nikon d90, and will then be on the hunt for a good lens and lighting arrangement,as the title suggests coins and jewels to start with!
any advise would be greatly appreciated;)

Had you considered a little light tent - that would help with the lighting and background.

As for lenses - what's your budget?

The lens has to be the Sigma 105macro, very nice for the money.

the plan at present is to purchase the nikon d90 18-105 vr, this should cope with most tasks, thinking i need tent 3 lights and macro ring light,8 gig card and top load bag....hoping i can squeeze all this from £1200.oo

Is it artistic shots you want or for insurance valuation?

The reason for asking is that a ring flash will be OK for record shots, but if you want "nice" artistic lighting you may find the ring flash images a bit flat if used on its own (I see you're reckoning on 3 lights and a tent also).

Sigma 105 also recommended here. Nice sharp macro lens. (y)

How close will the 18-105 VR let you focus?

I have an old photography book that suggests a torch reflector for taking images of coins.

The reflector means that any wirtting on the edge (admittedly reversed) is seen as well as the coins face.

The book offers another option, but it is a bit difficult to explain without the images. I will make a sketch of it an post it latter.

I have an old photography book that suggests a torch reflector for taking images of coins.

The reflector means that any wirtting on the edge (admittedly reversed) is seen as well as the coins face.

That sounds interesting. Where do you place the reflector?

Is it artistic shots you want or for insurance valuation?

The reason for asking is that a ring flash will be OK for record shots, but if you want "nice" artistic lighting you may find the ring flash images a bit flat if used on its own (I see you're reckoning on 3 lights and a tent also).

Sigma 105 also recommended here. Nice sharp macro lens. (y)

How close will the 18-105 VR let you focus?
not sure as i havent purchased it yet!! nothing artistic planned just for my records and insurance, although ive just been told one coin is worth £450.!!
so that one may get framed :LOL:

Back