Cokin system A or P?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have tried searching for this but can not find a definitive answer. Will Cokin P filters cause vignetting on a Sigma 10-20mm on a D300, so 1.5x crop. At the 10mm end I mean. I presume the A series will be too small?

i think if you get the wide angle holder yous hould be fine, although to be safe the X-pro or (z) not sure which one just the biggest 100mm x 150mm filters

Using the Cokin Wide Angle holder for my Cokin P filters I never use to get any vignetting with my 10-20 on the 350D - not tried it on the 40D yet, but I think they are both 1.6.

D200 with sigma 10-20 and wide angle P System holder, you can see the holder at 10-11 mm.

How does the P series wide angle holder difer from the normal holder then? Flatter profile, so you can't put multiple filters in it?

How does the P series wide angle holder difer from the normal holder then? Flatter profile, so you can't put multiple filters in it?

Yep,one filter only........(y)

You can't see it on my 400D-Canon 10-22 and I use the wide angle version of the Cokin P. On saying that, you have to have the thing perfectly level otherwise you do get the corners showing at 10mm.

Although the circular polarizer that I have does vignette upto 14mm IIRC. (not the screw in type)

you need cokin P, the special wide angle holder, i don't get any vignetting at 10mm on my 10-20, the only downside is it only supports 1 filter at a time.

sorry for stealing your thread,but i'm also looking to get some cokin filters,some ND grads to start with.i have an 18-70 and a 75-300,so my question is...cokin A or cokin P?
stan
it depends on the filter size for your lenses ,basically the filter needs to be bigger than the lens , you might get away with A size but the difference in price A-P (not a lot) you might as well future proof youself & get P size (or bigger)

have a look here .

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/main.htm

hope that helps

Cokin A to me seems like a waste of time tbh. Cokin P is fine for any focal length >10mm, and even at 10mm, I can barely see the holder. If you have the cash to go for Z or X, then do that, as then the normal holder probably wont be visible at 10mm and then you can also use multiple filters. However if money will not stretch that far, I would deffo go for P series :)

Ok so P series it is. But I am a bit confused about the ND filters, do Cokin not do any solid ND filters? All I can find is graduated ones.

Cokin A series still has a place - many people who have a basic kit will be able to use these with the exception of many ultrawide lenses. When I first started out with a 350D, both my 18-55 and 70-300 had 58mm filters and the 50mm f1.8 was 52mm, so I bought a cheap job lot on Ebay and got some good use from them.

Since sold the lenses and sold the filters, actually got more for the filters on Ebay than I bought them for.

Cool cheers, now just got to find somewhere to buy them from!

stan
it depends on the filter size for your lenses ,basically the filter needs to be bigger than the lens , you might get away with A size but the difference in price A-P (not a lot) you might as well future proof youself & get P size (or bigger)

have a look here .

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/main.htm

hope that helps

cheers daftbugga,i'll get the P one's then (y)

:LOL: I didn't look at your location :bonk:

I assumed you were in Hants :exit:

I used to be! And will be again in the future, just not at the moment!

If you are going for ND & ND Grads then I would personally reccommend staying away from Cokins. In my experience and others they have a magenta cast as they aren't true NDs just a grey filter. Although in the interests of ballance it may be that I had a bad experience with poor quality - they are french :razz: after all

I know the Lee Filters are much more expensive but I can honestly say they are worth every penny plus you won't have a Vignetting problem as they are 100 x 150mm (for the grads). Alternatively if you can find them Hi-Tech filters are reccommended as a suitable alternative by those on the web who have had similar problems to me (see link 2 IIRC)

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4 & Pic

Link 5

I could go on but I'm bored now ;)

If you are going for ND & ND Grads then I would personally reccommend staying away from Cokins. In my experience and others they have a magenta cast as they aren't true NDs just a grey filter. Although in the interests of ballance it may be that I had a bad experience with poor quality - they are french :razz: after all

I know the Lee Filters are much more expensive but I can honestly say they are worth every penny plus you won't have a Vignetting problem as they are 100 x 150mm (for the grads). Alternatively if you can find them Hi-Tech filters are reccommended as a suitable alternative by those on the web who have had similar problems to me (see link 2 IIRC"]

I could go on but I'm bored now ;)

Thats just thrown a spanner in the works! Anyone else experienced colour casts on the Cokin ND's?

Also when you suggest Lee filters I pressume you mean the resin ones not the poly ones?

I havent had the cast using the Z pro recently. But then Cokin do a set of grey grads as well as NDs so maybe the folks gettng the colour cast bought the wrong ones! And incidentally I have been using the Z series with a full frame at 17mm with no vignetting so far so it's worth the extra few quid.

I havent had the cast using the Z pro recently. But then Cokin do a set of grey grads as well as NDs so maybe the folks gettng the colour cast bought the wrong ones! And incidentally I have been using the Z series with a full frame at 17mm with no vignetting so far so it's worth the extra few quid.

What's the filter number of your NDs? I was pretty sure that Cokin only did differing densities of Grey Grad that has an light cutting (ND) effect and are confusingly labeld as ND2, ND4 or ND6 Grey Grads. If they've really started to do true NDs then it may be time to look at them again (but they are french :razz: so perhaps I won't).

Back