College photo shoot

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I'm currently studying photography at college and we've had to do a "fashion shoot". So having borrowed the portable lighting rig, I took my mate out and took a few shots. Here's a few I was particularly happy with.

C&C welcomed/encouraged :)

I like the lighting in these, 1 & 2 are great but No3 the subject seems a bit stiff, I'm not too keen on the straight at camera look.

Well done (y)

Gary

3 is my fave of the set.

In number 2 his shoes and trousers are a bit to close to their backgrounds in colour for me.

I think these are really good, the first one has to be my personal fave.
The only niggles would be the models (ya mate) expressions, expressions make or break a shot, also if your having a model stand close to wall think about how and where the shadows are falling.

Aside, superb shots, I think your going to do very well! (y)

number three i feel could appear on any wanted poster for the police.

number two for me colour compostion and stance only criticism of two is the lines dont appear to be vertical making it look like the subject is falling backward.

but apart from that an excellent shot well caught

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Appreciate the help and comments. Definitely a few things I can take from your suggestions for next time. My mate isn't exactly a model so kind of working with the best I had to hand :)

It was mostly trial and error with the lighting system - an Elinchrom portable lighting rig - two 250w lights with two softboxes - mostly pointed at about 45 degrees towards the model. If it wasn't so windy last night, I'd have experimented with it a bit more but Eric was having a bit of a whinge about being freezing! Damn premadonnas!

Thanks again!

I like #1.

He should swap his hat for a skateboard (y)

nice, i think the processing is what makes these fabulous :)...well done! first two for me, not keen on the framing and lighting in the last shot.

Thanks guys :) Appreciate the comments. Number two, I've been using a photoshop plugin called Topaz Adjust (http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/). It's a little like the LucisArt plugin but gives a slightly different effect. It was mainly that in combination with some levels adjustments really. We actually did this shoot at around 8 at night and so it was pretty much pitch black. I was using an Elinchrom portable lighting system with a couple of soft boxes. That is a brilliant piece of equipment! Shame it's not mine!

I love the background of number two, but I am disappointed that I can't see just a wee more of his face. As someone already mentioned, pose of number one with background of two would have been lovely.

Poor fella looks horribly frightened in number three. ;)

Back